• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66; what the hell is going on over there?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ah, you see you’ve used the word ‘avoiding’. Avoiding tax is legal; evading tax isn’t.
    I think there is a grey area in between.

Tax law cant cover every possibility and people know when they are taking the piss (normally when they openly say they exploiting a loophole). In this case the loop hole was similar to one that had been closed before. Therefore it begins to feel like tax evasion to me.
    Last edited by Iron Condor; 28 January 2010, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      What, like operating a Limited Company of which you are sole shareholder and paying the income you earn from working as a temporary employee in dividends?
      That can also be viewed as artificial in some or even many cases, however if you look at practical side of things going this route won't reduce tax from 40% to 3.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
        people know when they are taking the piss
        What, like people who charge 40-odd % tax on lot of people’s earnings and still don’t have enough money to waste?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          I've worked through an umbrella company when required - works fine.
          So have I, but that's not the point I'm making. I would rather be self employed than have to run a Ltd.
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
            I think there is a grey area in between.

The law cant cover every possibility and people know when they are taking the piss (normally when they openly say they exploiting a loophole). In this case the loop hole was similar to one that had been closed before. There fore it begins to feel like tax evasion to me.
            Close the loophole and apply the rules after that particular loophole has been closed, not a number of years previously.

I think that in a nutshell is the issue.

IANAL

Comment

Close the loophole and apply the rules after that particular loophole has been closed, not a number of years previously.

I think that in a nutshell is the issue.

IANAL
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                So have I, but that's not the point I'm making. I would rather be self employed than have to run a Ltd.
                Well, join a "contractor collective" and start an LLP.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yeah me too. However, agencies don't like self-employed people. Have you tried a "Partnership"?

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Well, join a "contractor collective" and start an LLP.
                  Sorry.

Comment

Yeah me too. However, agencies don't like self-employed people. Have you tried a "Partnership"?
                    I've seen colleagues do it, and rapidly fall out.

I'm a lone wolf...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'm a lone wolf...
                      owwwwwwwwwwwww
                      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X