• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sheeps for sail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I think those lines are called 'sheets'.
    All ropes on a ship are called lines.

I didn't mean the sheets - I mean that on a square rigger ship, there is more than one rope called a rope.

Edit: Down the bottom of this link
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

I didn't mean the sheets - I mean that on a square rigger ship, there is more than one rope called a rope.
      No there isn't. The only rope called a "rope" on a ship is attached to the bell.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        and you tie boats up with painters if i remember my sea scouting days correctly.
        Yup, but you might want to secure it with some springs and lines.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Except for the hawsers, the chains and the cables.

sheet n. rope or chain attached to the lower corner of a sail to hold or control it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            No there isn't. The only rope called a "rope" on a ship is attached to the bell.
            You keep trolling it out, but it's a line made up by Cheify to catch out fresh meat and it's not always true.

Comment

Edit: Down the bottom of this link
              Originally posted by yourLinky
              It may end up being a rope, such as a FOOTROPE or a BOLTROPE
              Not the same as "rope".

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Not the same as "rope".

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Is wool even a suitable material for sail making?
                    Very, if it's treated the right way. The Vikings made their sails out of wool.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Very, if it's treated the right way. The Vikings made their sails out of wool.
                      I think I'll stick to Mylar. They don't need loads of work to stop them shrinking.

Comment

Working...
                      X