• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession over (probably)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession in decades"
    "Britain expected to exit worst recession, in decades"

Comment

Could this have had something to do with everyone spending before 31-Dec when VAT went back up and the car discounts dried up?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Could this have had something to do with everyone spending before 31-Dec when VAT went back up and the car discounts dried up?
        Have you seen the weather on 31st? I have not seen many cars on the road apart from mine

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Have you seen the weather on 31st? I have not seen many cars on the road apart from mine
          I'm referring to the whole quarter up to and including the 31st.

Comment

The currency markets don't seem particularly enamoured with Sterling subsequent to the ONS release.

Comment

Bet on a March election.

The figures for Q1 2010 should be worse, as the effects of QE, VAT cut and car stimulus disappear.

The Q1 2010 figures will come out in three months. If Labour left the election until the last moment, in May, we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.

Comment

we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.
                That's the beauty - definition of recession requires 2 consecutive quarters of reduced GDP, so technically (unless this number is revised - I think it may go upwards a bit) Britain won't be officially again in recession until after June at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  That's the beauty - definition of recession requires 2 consecutive quarters of reduced GDP, so technically (unless this number is revised - I think it may go upwards a bit) Britain won't be officially again in recession until after June at the earliest.
                  Fair point AtW. Technically I should have said back to negative growth (now you come to mention it, is it only two quarters?)

If July does indicate we are back in recession, the first quarter will be posthumously included in the period of recession. It's just that we won't know until July, after the election.

Comment

The mash has explained it fairly succinctly:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...-201001262413/
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Bet on a March election.

The figures for Q1 2010 should be worse, as the effects of QE, VAT cut and car stimulus disappear.

The Q1 2010 figures will come out in three months. If Labour left the election until the last moment, in May, we'd go back into recession in the middle of their election campaign.
                      Gordon the bottler? Err, no thanks. He's going to drag it out as long as he can. A leopard cannot change its spots.
                      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X