• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Average take home as a percentage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    3 everything else that I put through the books "beacuse I can" (broadband, mobile, home office, software licenses, laptop etc.)

I see expenses 3 as part of my "take home" - it's just a convenient way of extracting from ltdco to reduce corp tax but paying off those bills.
    I agree with you that No. 3 is part of "take home", I just don't agree that it's "expenses"
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      I use a similar measure but split my expenses 3 ways:
      1 expenses I have to incur running my ltdco (number bods, insurance etc.)
      2 expenses I have to incur getting to/from clientco (trains etc.)
      3 everything else that I put through the books "beacuse I can" (broadband, mobile, home office, software licenses, laptop etc.)

I see expenses 3 as part of my "take home" - it's just a convenient way of extracting from ltdco to reduce corp tax but paying off those bills. Expenses 1+2 I have to incur to work.

So my own measure of "take home" is
      billing - (expenses 1+2) - (ni + paye) - (corp tax) - (additional self assessment)

This leaves me a "take home" figure which is then usually spread across
      1 net salary + expenses 3
      2 divi payments
      3 retained earnings in ltdco
      4 pension

Some may disagree that 3+4 should be seen as "take home" but I regard it as such because I still "control" it, some of it just happens to be in an inconvenient location.

Looking at this calculation for my 2007/08 financial year I see

"take home" / billing = 73%

ie. 27% of billing was lost to tax and necessary expenses incurred operating my ltdco and working.

Thanks for a useful response - Really appreciate it.
      Having spoken to a couple of agencies . . they've not really made it totally clear what I can and what I can't expense.

To the fools who had something to say about me having run a search - look at the link you supplied, the thread does not supply the answer to my original question . . ie . . all I want is a simple quick breakdown!!

On every forum there are always some people who are happy to help . .and some that are just negative - if you have nothing positive to say, don;t say anything!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletprooffool View Post
        To the fools who had something to say about me having run a search - look at the link you supplied, the thread does not supply the answer to my original question . . ie . . all I want is a simple quick breakdown!!

On every forum there are always some people who are happy to help . .and some that are just negative - if you have nothing positive to say, don;t say anything!
        Welcome to the board. Please continue in this vein, this will make you really popular with people who have been here for years. If I were you I should especially try to attract the attention on someone called "Malvolio", he more than anyone else is fond of repeating the same answers to the same questions.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
          Welcome to the board. Please continue in this vein, this will make you really popular with people who have been here for years. If I were you I should especially try to attract the attention on someone called "Malvolio", he more than anyone else is fond of repeating the same answers to the same questions.
          Ouch! I wouldnt want to cross you when youre in a bad mood. LOL.

Comment

To the fools who had something to say about me having run a search

if you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything!
            Not as bullet prof as you thought eh?
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

if you have nothing positive to say, don;t say anything!
              don't
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

all I want is a simple quick breakdown!!!
                a simple breakdown is not possible as has been previously stated, it's down to the individual, their circumtances and the way they choose to run their company.

if you want a list of expensible items then I would advise you get yourself an accountant and ask them. Similar to the %age take home question, different accountants will advise differently depending on how much of a grey area you are willing to go into and if you are willing to take the risk of arguing your reasoning with HMRC if you are ever investigated and also willing to pay the fines they will impose if you are proven to be incorrect in your views. The simple answer is ANYTHING that is 100% a business related expense is a valid expense, if your unsure if it is exclusively a business related expense then that is the grey area I refer to.
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

My take home is about 117.5% - it's great.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Sucker!! I get 135% offshore...

To Mr Taxman, this is humour and is not true...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      took me a short while to work that one out but then
                      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X