• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property: Always a good investment!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Let me guess - they did not have Liebor Govt in that period?
    Labour have been very good for me.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The average home has almost quadrupled in value, having risen by 273% since 1959 in real terms, the Halifax found. In today's money, a typical home would have cost about £43,000 in 1959.
      Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
      Aren't you surprised that the cost of a house has increased in real terms by 400% in 50 years??

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        He's had a Labour educashun. Not very good with numbers you see.

Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

They gave it away for free after you left it.
          Well more fool them considering I sold it in 2006 for £280K
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's not the "value" of houses that's gone up, but it's the value of money that's dropped.

HTH

Comment

It's not the "value" of houses that's gone up, but it's the value of money that's dropped.

HTH
              Spoken like a true bed-sitting renter.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Notice how a longer term analysis is becoming the norm, possibly to pursuade people into the market as the returns look more attractive longer term.
                I think soon we'll be struggling with the 'house prices double every 10 years rule'. Round my way first time buyer flats are now below this rule, and I think later the rest of the market may follow (if first time buyers won't/can't stomp up more cash, it'll probably affect the rest of the market).

So take a 44000 flat bought in Q4 1998. As of Q4 2009 it's sold for 85000 and there are others going for around this price also. Area, West Berkshire. Still a decent return but given the surging market over the last 10 years it may be seen as ONLY just under 100% increase in value, rather than "wow". At their peak these properties were selling for just under £120,000 (wel, between 115 and 120k to be fair).
                Last edited by SuperZ; 21 January 2010, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Spoken like a true bed-sitting renter.
                  I'll be moving in the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Still recall my first property bought in 1995: a two bed Victorian garden property in London zone 3 - for, get this, £56K
                    £56k will only buy you a shed these days.

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      £56k will only buy you a shed these days.

Not even an eco shed?

Comment

Working...
                      X