• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have-a-go hero stabbed to death after chasing muggers who stole woman's bag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Just as well the perpetrators didn't have guns...
    It would have probably been better if they had guns - the guy would not run after them.

If good citizens also had guns then it would not if they also had guns - their main objective was to rob and then bog off, as they run away they are in a vulnerable position: it's not olympic games or duel, if the scum took a bag and run away then they've chosen their life path and should have no grounds for complaints if they get gunned down on that path.

The way I see it is that the law left only 3 options to people who witness such crimes in this case (in order of probabilities):

1) ignore this situation whilst someone is robbed, pretend it does not happen or console them later: either way criminals get away with it
    2) try to fight criminals like this guy and get killed or criminals just run away
    3) try to fight criminals and win - then get sued for violation of their human rights like the guy some weeks ago

Maybe you are content with these choices, I am not.

Ensuring that legitimate citizens have firearms would greatly change odds in favour of law abiding citizens.

Better to die standing firmly on your legs with a firearm in your hand fighting for what's right, than die on your knees begging for your life.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      It would have probably been better if they had guns - the guy would not run after them.
      Kind of hard to run when you've taken a 9mm to the head

If good citizens also had guns then it would not if they also had guns - their main objective was to rob and then bog off, as they run away they are in a vulnerable position:
      You're a mind reader as well? Perhaps they would have shot the victim straight away to prevent future identification? Who knows?

it's not olympic games or duel, if the scum took a bag and run away then they've chosen their life path and should have no grounds for complaints if they get gunned down on that path.
      You've spent to much time on the computer playing GTA or some such

Ensuring that legitimate citizens have firearms would greatly change odds in favour of law abiding citizens.
      I don't think so. Unless you walk around with a drawn gun all day, the element of suprise by the perpetrator puts the odds firmly in their favour whether they have a gun, knife or indeed are unarmed.

Better to die standing firmly on your legs with a firearm in your hand fighting for what's right, than die on your knees begging for your life.

HTH
      You might be hard-headed enough to still be standing after being shot, I'm not

Comment

France have fairly good gun laws.

Germany also.

So is Switzerland.

UK had them before Dunblane.

Banning stuff like CS gas is insane - but perfect for criminals who don't give a tulip about laws and routinely carry knifes: it's better to get shot from 9mm then get knifed, survival wise.

Comment

it's better to get shot from 9mm then get knifed, survival wise.
          Really? Link?

Comment

Really? Link?
            There is no link - I've formed personal opinion about that on the grounds of what's I've read in many places, plus some medical thinking - knifes go in and cause more damage, the bullet quickly goes in and out: unless it got into heart or something, chances of survival are good (so long as person gets quick aid).

Knifes have very nasty wounds - very likely they'll hit you in the torse/stomach area and there blade will do a lot of damage that no single bullet would normally (unless it's with shifted gravity center).

More importantly in gun situation I'd have (hopefully) a legit gun, where as carrying knifes should indeed be as illegal as it is now - only criminals don't give a tulip

Comment

There is no link - I've formed personal opinion about that on the grounds of what's I've read in many places, plus some medical thinking - knifes go in and cause more damage, the bullet quickly goes in and out: unless it got into heart or something, chances of survival are good (so long as person gets quick aid).

Knifes have very nasty wounds - very likely they'll hit you in the torse/stomach area and there blade will do a lot of damage that no single bullet would normally (unless it's with shifted gravity center).

More importantly in gun situation I'd have (hopefully) a legit gun, where as carrying knifes should indeed be as illegal as it is now - only criminals don't give a tulip
              Are you, by any chance, addicted to Grand Theft Auto?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You've spent to much time on the computer playing GTA or some such
                Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  No, I never played it - that sort of game does not appeal to me.

I do play Day of Defeat though - if you are in it you'd better not walk in front of my MG

Comment

I have two knife wounds. Unless the b@stards hold you down, or suprise you, there is no way they can do you a nasty injury, all things being equal.
                    But a kid could kill you with a gun.

As far as chasing a handbag robber goes, you have to weigh it up. Sometimes it would be madness, sometimes it would be a laugh. Whatever happens, you have to take the rsponsibility. If you are not prepared to take on Bruce Willis armed with a Katana, stay put and take their description

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      I have two knife wounds. Unless the b@stards hold you down, or suprise you, there is no way they can do you a nasty injury, all things being equal. But a kid could kill you with a gun.
                      For some reason in UK (pre 1997) statistics firearm homicides were like 5% of total.

Knifes are smaller, easier to conceal, can be made at home easily, and much more assessible to scumbags who would never get a legit firearm license.

That's another reason why balance should be shifted - increase in personal risk to criminals from legit firearms ownership will be much higher than it is now with acceptable increase in risk to law abiding citizens: mostly arising from the fact that legit firearm can be turned against its owner, however that's the risk owner should accept or not own a firearm.

Comment

Working...
                      X