• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was your first career choice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psychology... thats what I wanted to do.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Fluffer.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I was going to go into Astrology but I couldn't see any future in it.
        That kind of smart Alec remark is typical of Capricorns.

I remember when I was very young, people used to ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I used to say a doctor. Not because I wanted to be a doctor, but because it sounded like a good answer.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          You sure dress to psychologically impress

Comment

I spent a few years running pubs before I got into IT
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

8 Years in the Royal Navy but wanted to be a Royal Marine, parental influence and all that. Strange how one stumbles into IT

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                When I was a student I knew a few Psychology students. Every one of them was completely round the twist. I came to the conclusion that those people that study the subject do so to understand what is wrong with themselves.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I wanted to do linguistics, but then saw the salary scales versus IT.

So did anyone actually want to go into IT?

Comment

Copper but they were picky on height restrictions then.
                    Failing that, a commercial or RAF pilot, but eyesight let me down.

So I stumbled in to banking as a cashier for Midland Bank for 2 years. Left when HSBC took over and gave us all targets to sell products to the customers, instead of treating them as human beings.

Went to Ford's where I started in DBA work, and that was how I got in to IT.

2 Years at Ford's, then the band got a record deal and I jacked Ford's in, but the deal went belly up soon after. Still, better to chase your dreams than have regrets for not trying.

Ironically joined a music manufacturer as systems engineer and then became IT manager after that.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

My first was when I was offered 2 jobs before I graduated, one in Glasgow, basically my home town, or the other in Swindon.

I chose the one in Glasgow.

So go ahead and slag off Glasgow all you want, but I often wonder what would have happened if I had moved to Swindon (and yes, I hear it's a tulip hole from all you lot on here).

I chose Glasgow in part because of the girl I was with at the time. No big deal now, as I wouldn't have met current girl if I had moved away.

Comment

Working...
                      X