• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Five Guitar Solos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top 5 solos

1. Eruption (live) - Eddie Van Halen
    2. Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour
    3. Sweet Child 'O Mine - Slash
    4. White Room - Clapton
    5. All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix

Comment

Definitely "Comfortably Numb" by David Gilmour. How often I've wished that I was.

And "21st Century Schizoid Man", cracking up stuff...

Comment

Santana - Black Magic Woman
        Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar
        Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
        Cat Stevens - Lady Darbanville
        Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
        Last edited by SupremeSpod; 6 December 2005, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
          The heaviest guitar solo EVER and I mean ever, is Lou Reed's on the velvets "I heard her call my name" from White light, white heat (1968), preceded as it is by the immortal words "And then I felt my mind split open...". The next "song" on the LP is "Sister Ray", making this the heaviest ever side two of an LP. (Judge : me).

This however,and indeed most of the tracks mentioned so far, are actually a guitar breaks, not guitar solos, as other instruments are playing as well. A true guitar solo is when just the guitar itself is heard. Try Tony Iommi on Sabbath's "Warning" from the first LP (1969), or Steve Howe on Yes' "Sound Chaser" from "Relayer" (1974).

Bagpuss' choice is actually riffs, which is something else all together. Hendrix fans should check out "Peace in Missisippi" from the under-rated and not particularly easy to find "Crash Landing" (1975). The 1970 John McLaughlin LP "Devotion" is also a classic.

On a weirder note, try Fripp and Eno's "No Pussyfooting" (1973) for two instrumental tracks where Fripp's guitar is fed back onto itself via an Ampex tape recorder.
          Other Fripp classics are the guitar break on "21st century schizoid man" from the first LP, (although I prefer the rougher live take on "Earthbound" (1972)). The following year's offering, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" deserves the attention of anyone remotely interested in the use of the electric guitar.

(That's enough guitar solos. Ed)
          Aye Fleet

Would you Adam and Eve it, whilst reading your observations about guitar solos the first song which came to mind was in fact Peace in Missipsi, I first heard this tour de force on the OGWTest and Ive never recovered from this sonic assault.

Re Jonn Mg are you refereing perhaps to the Love Devotion Surrender album which he composed with Carlos Santana ?

Speaking of Carlos Santana I would say that the Amigos album had his finest guitar playing , the hynotic guitar on Dance Sister Dance and the magnificent Europa spring to mind.

Speaking of JMg I thought his best work was Johnny MgLaughlin, Electric Guitarist and with the Mahivishnu Orchestra, Birds of Fire.

Perhaps you heard his efforts with the Indian musicians in an outfit named Shakti , acoustic guitar pas excellence.

My fav Fripp guitar is the gentle melody to be heard on Book of Saturday.

Finally one of my fav gutiar tracks is the definitive live version of the Beatles Daytripper, performed by the formidable trio of Hendrix Clapton and Townsend.

Baby you just go to my head ...
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 December 2005, 10:00.

Comment

No Alf, the "Devotion" I'm on about is this one :

Devotion John McLaughlin

I think you'll like it. An acoustic tour-de-force by the same guy, which is better than Shakti IMHO, is one called "My Goal's Beyond".

As for Hendrix, I presume you have "Nine to The Universe"? Incroyable.

I have a version of Day Tripper by Randy California on his 1972 solo LP "Kaptain Kopter and the (fabulous) Twirly Birds". Other covers on the album are "Mother and Child Reunion" and an 8-minute "Rain". I think you'd probably like that one as well. Allegedly, Mitchell and Redding appear on some tracks under pseudonyms...
            Last edited by Fleetwood; 6 December 2005, 10:31.
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
              No Alf, the "Devotion" I'm on about is this one :

Devotion John McLaughlin

I think you'll like it. An acoustic tour-de-force by the same guy, which is better than Shakti IMHO, is one called "My Goal's Beyond".

As for Hendrix, I presume you have "Nine to The Universe"? Incroyable.

I have a version of Day Tripper by Randy California on his 1972 solo LP "Kaptain Kopter and the (fabulous) Twirly Birds". Other covers on the album are "Mother and Child Reunion" and an 8-minute "Rain". I think you'd probably like that one as well.
              United States of Mind

Aye Fleet

As a Hendrix connosieur (spelling?) natch I dig Nine to the Universe.

M and C Reunion this is Paul Simons Ditty ?

As for Rain, I can tell you a funny story about that.

Aside from the Joanna I also like to bash the acoustic guitar now and again.

Back in 89 yer man went to California and I bought a really nice old Fender acoustic in San Francisco. Was in that famous park in San Francisco knocking out some Beatle songs, a wee group of us were having a singsong , then the Rain started.

So I played the Beatles song Rain which I though fitting, and you know the bit that goes Ray..ay..ay..ay...ainnn ..the Weathers Fine ... well to my astonishment the entire park joined in , must have been about 500 or so singing , getting soaked in the rain, it was surreal.

Tinsel town in the Rain.

PS To cut a a long story sort that Fender guitar was nicked whilst in San Franciso and would you Adam and Eve it I got it back the next day as I managed to catch the thief trying to flog it on the street !

I can show you that when it rains and shines
              Its just a State of Mind
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 December 2005, 10:43.

Comment

It is Paul Simon's ditty, aye.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                  dum dum dum
                  dum dum dum dum
                  dum dum dum
                  dum dum

Smoke on the water...Deep Purple

Comment

You missed out Gerry Rafferty Baker STreet...a good (Hair on the back of the neck) guitar solo and one of the best Sax solo's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                      Smoke on the water...Deep Purple
                      Aye Ph

Well spotted , but I thought it was more like

Dum Dum Dum
                      Dum Dum DEE Dum
                      Dum Dum Dum
                      Dum DEE Dum

Cue for Fleet.

Comment

Working...