• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New "low energy" bulbs ARE a con

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Wasn't that just WW2 propaganda to cover up the invention of RADAR ?
    Since when has nuLieBore distinguished between reality and propaganda?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      You can buy 5 florescents for £1 down my local supermarket. Also, don't forget to give up meat and breed like crazy as you know this makes perfect sense.

I was trying to read the resistances on some minute resistors the other day (using the colour bars, without a colour chart to compare them with) and had trouble telling brown from black and red from orange, etc, under my underpowered florescent light. So I tried again under the table lamp, which has one of the old illegal light bulbs in. That was an improvement and the colours changed and became more distinct and differentiable, but even so neither were as good as decent sunlight, as I discovered the next morning. I'd also tried it under a small white LED, and that wasn't much cop either.
      Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Birmingham Via Great Western

iirc

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'd also tried it under a small white LED, and that wasn't much cop either.
        That's 'cos white LEDs aren't white; merely a mix of a few bands of colour. They're useless for arts & crafts too. Not like the old fashioned, illegal, think-of-the-children, blue-tinted natural daylight bulbs.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Birmingham Via Great Western

iirc

Surely something with less words than that is possible?

B*B*R*O*Y*G*B*V*G*W

How about : Babroy Gabivrow?

Okay, they aren't proper words, but then again neither is Roygbiv and I use that one. Mostly because I could never remember the rhyme.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            They're blue leds with a phosphor.

Crap light.

You can get LEDs with an R, G, and B led in them, which gives white.

But it's still crap because Leds are almost monochromatic.
            Can they do yellow then?

Comment

neither were as good as decent sunlight,

so if I can just find a way of getting a portable hydrogen fusion reactor into a small glass bulb about 4" in diameter at a retail price point around 20p I'll be rich, rich, rich

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                That's not a good reason at consecutive postings!

Comment

Gosh, the "environmentalists" may have spun us a porkie pie ?

But I thought they had the moral and scientific high ground, and could lecture the rest of us, carte blanche, with justifiable righteousness.

You mean, perhaps they are not as honest as they would like us to believe ?

Oh dear.

I'm very disappointed.

Very disappointed indeed.
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    Gosh, the "environmentalists" may have spun us a porkie pie ?

But I thought they had the moral and scientific high ground, and could lecture the rest of us, carte blanche, with justifiable righteousness.

You mean, perhaps they are not as honest as they would like us to believe ?

Oh dear.

I'm very disappointed.

Very disappointed indeed.
                    A few years ago I realised that if you pay people not to work, they get quite good at it, pay them to have babies, hey presto chav baby making machines.

Now I realise that if you pay scientists to frighten the bejesus out of us, they will get quite good at it. Pay them even more and they are capable of frightening , lecturing and patronising the bejesus out of us.

ranty rant
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Wasn't that just WW2 propaganda to cover up the invention of RADAR ?
                      Yup

Those old government propaganda techniques are as old as time, aren't they?
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X