• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-Fed chief Paul Volcker's 'telling' words on derivatives industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    That's right, they don't have organised crime, or corruption in the USA ...
    One of the Russian "oligarchs" that can freely travel to UK and Europe wasn't able to get visa to USA for many years, even now I think due to alleged links to mafia (in the industry that he controls a lot of owners were shot dead in 90s, somehow he survived).

The matter of fact is that USA actually tries to get such criminals and NYSE regulations were stricter than LSE, which is why all those dodgy IPOs happened here. I am sure the City called it "competitiveness"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      One of the Russian "oligarchs" that can freely travel to UK and Europe wasn't able to get visa to USA for many years, even now I think due to alleged links to mafia (in the industry that he controls a lot of owners were shot dead in 90s, somehow he survived).

The matter of fact is that USA actually tries to get such criminals and NYSE regulations were stricter than LSE, which is why all those dodgy IPOs happened here. I am sure the City called it "competitiveness"
      Well, I can't argue about our visa system being laxer than the US, but apart from that I reckon you're talking out of yur arse, as usual. NYSE only got stricter after Enron, and they've been screaming out ever since to stop being so strict cause they're losing business, and prominence because of it.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        NYSE only got stricter after Enron
        Enron was in 2001, right now it is end of 2009: whole decade gone since they got much stricter.

Yes I am sure good fellows from NYSE are not very happy about "their business" going to the City, but that's not their decision - unlike UK in the USA there is Govt that actually pursues criminals, they do it because they actually make things in USA that they can sell, rather than relying on trading football clubs in hope of some rich foreinger bringing money into this country.

Comment

Working...
        X