• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you work in Swindon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked in Swindon some time back. But then, it was in the C & W datacentre and there were no windows, so I could have been anywhere.

Foxes was OK too...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I thought I had but after checking my records it was Slough, both begin with an 'S' and are west of London so it was easy to get confused. I remember I stayed at one of the Holiday Inns near Heathrow and the office was over the road from a PC World (I think) who tried to sell me cassette tapes for a 4mm DAT as they didn't know what I was talking about
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Aaargh! That article reminded me of XTC, who I thought were dire.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          I'm already in Swindon.

And mighty glad to be off the bench I am too!

However, I'm looking forward to the weekend and it's only Wednesday...
          Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You sound like a permie...
          Not at all, just missing my "home comforts "...

Never mind, it's "See you tomorrow day!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I thought I had but after checking my records it was Slough, both begin with an 'S'
            So does Tulip.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              I worked in Swindon some time back. But then, it was in the C & W datacentre and there were no windows, so I could have been anywhere.

Foxes was OK too...
              well they have moved everyone upstairs now.... swindon in its full glory everywhere you look......

i think I preferred it in the dark room downstairs

Comment

Yes, so long as it isn't a certain Building Society where I once worked as a permie, reason being because they probably wouldn't have me back!

Just to explain, it was that job which finally pushed me over the edge and got me into this contracting lark. It's not that I'm not a team player but there the emphasis on the team was way over the top IMO. Regular team building activities, all the classics like raft building etc, normally followed by a pizza in Pizza Express where you would have to suffer the humiliation of standing up in front of everyone (and the rest of the punters) and tell the assembled group who in the team inspires you the most and why. The final straw was when they suggested doing group huddles on Monday morning before we started work.

Comment

Working...
                X