• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May be doing a two week training stint in Bangalore in jan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    watch out for the cow-ticks though. They are used to burrowing through thick hide so they get under your skin in no time. They aenethetise the area then lay eggs which hatch quickly and the larvae burrow to the bone. The best way to remove them is with a scalpel and a sharp pencil or spatula.
    Or a spoon, just remove the chutney first
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

You need to swat up with the DV first

http://www.woolworthsentertainment.c...20DVD%20Phrase

tim

Comment

having spent a few weeks out there myself recently i can say that you'll love bangalore, yes have your injections, dont eat of roadside stalls (even the team I was training wouldn't let me), bottled water etc

All the main action is around M.G Road in the centre of town, dunno where your stopping but just flag a auto-rickshaw down, cost is as cheap as chips and run all night

Eating wise you'll be suprised, plenty of excellent places to eat, if your out with the team get them to order and you'll eat like a king, they will know the places to go which are often places they would go to for special/family events etc

Plenty of things to do around Bangalore http://www.virtualbangalore.com/Tou/InBlr.php just barter on the taxi fares and you can travel all day for a decent price

Most of all go with an open mind, i loved the place, just accept the poverty which is right next to the expensive properties/shops and you'll find everyone really friendly

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          Very different county. Lots of new sights and smells. Cows in the road.
          Ahh, reminds me of my home town, I've not been there for so long, I really don't understand the lingo anymore.

I'm from Bolton by the way....

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bolton
          Last edited by stek; 8 December 2009, 20:28.

Comment

just accept the poverty which is right next to the expensive properties/shops and you'll find everyone really friendly
            So, a bit like London then?

If you're out there, could be a good chance to spot up-and-coming IT talent. Outsource all your future work. Boomed!
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
              having spent a few weeks out there myself recently i can say that you'll love bangalore, yes have your injections, dont eat of roadside stalls (even the team I was training wouldn't let me), bottled water etc

All the main action is around M.G Road in the centre of town, dunno where your stopping but just flag a auto-rickshaw down, cost is as cheap as chips and run all night

Eating wise you'll be suprised, plenty of excellent places to eat, if your out with the team get them to order and you'll eat like a king, they will know the places to go which are often places they would go to for special/family events etc

Plenty of things to do around Bangalore http://www.virtualbangalore.com/Tou/InBlr.php just barter on the taxi fares and you can travel all day for a decent price

Most of all go with an open mind, i loved the place, just accept the poverty which is right next to the expensive properties/shops and you'll find everyone really friendly
              WHS.

I stayed here

Awesome!

Comment

oooh oooh...when you arrive, tell them that the client co said it wasn't working out so you've been sent over to transition the work back to the UK.

Spin it for as long as you can until you get busted.

i know it wouldn't work but it made me chuckle for about 10 seconds.

Ho hum....

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  So, a bit like London then?
                  Or any big UK city!
                  Was out in manchester a couple of times over the summer. Impossible to walk for more than a few yards without being asked for some change especially round the northern quarter
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I gather it's a bit of dump, and hundreds of miles from the nearest beach.
                    It just goes to show, I would never have picked you as a beach person.

I have no knowledge to impart about the place but I would have thought that there would be a wealth of history and culture to take in.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Clientco have indicated I may be required to spend a couple of weeks in Bangalore in january training up a local team to continue my role (well the role of the team I am in).

Any suggestions, or things to beware of? I gather it's a bit of dump, and hundreds of miles from the nearest beach. So I'll probably spend most of the time in the hotel.

Yes, Bangalore is definitely a bit of a dump and there's not much to do or to look at. There are however some excellent restaurants and some quite reasonable bars.
                      Pondecherry is probably the nearest beach that's worth visiting and is do-able by bus if you can get a long weekend or by taxi if you can't. Goa is a one hour flight away, check the Kingfisher airline website for details. A weekend in Mysore is also worth the effort although it's nowhere near the sea.
                      Most of the bars in Bangalore are around MG road/Brigade road but restaurants are spread out all around town. Everything in Bangalore closes early (before 11) and the traffic is a nightmare so it takes forever to get anywhere.
                      Where are you staying/working? I might know the areas.
                      PM me if you want any recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                      X