• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY Question - Cutting Skirting Boards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Its even harder to do and the method pros use. You cut the profile shape into the end of one the jointed pieces. Then as they fit together it leaves no gaps.
    Hmmm, may be the way to go as my place is really old and none of the angles is 90 degrees, neither are the walls vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I never understood that euphemism, or found the root of it. I was lucky to be around for the chutney spoon episode so was "in on the act" so to speak.

Has bleeding your radiators got anything to do with radiators? Or is it just, well, smut?
      No euphemism. If bleeding doesn't work, your radiators are filthy.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Hmmm, may be the way to go as my place is really old and none of the angles is 90 degrees, neither are the walls vertical.
        Best of luck. It is not something I have ever done but have seen someone else do it. For me the ease and speed of the powered mitre saw wins hands down.

As has been mentioned the mac allister tools are pretty decent value for money as are ryobi - which I think are slightly better quality. Also, a fair amount of cheaper tools are rebranded, I think the B&Q range used to be a rebadged ryobi - well it was a few years ago, not sure about recently. But stay clear of cheap of the cheap end. With tools the old saying is buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was going to mention hiring a mitre, but check out the cost

I've tried using the useless little profiles B&Q et al. sell, but I usually end up doing it by hand.

Comment

and that is the reason for the profile cuts. They are tricky but worth it if you can master them

What type of skirting are you putting in ? Torus ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              depends on the size of skirting - if its 7" torus then these B&Q ones don't do it.

I've a compound mitre saw in the shed and I used it for living room and its fantastic
              I've got the same model, and the 'sliding' bit means you can cut 7" skirting, I upgraded from a real cheapo one for that reason.

That's why they invented filler.
              Last edited by rootsnall; 8 December 2009, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                and that is the reason for the profile cuts. They are tricky but worth it if you can master them

What type of skirting are you putting in ? Torus ?
                Yes

Comment

I've done that. You cut a 45% angle and then use a coping saw to cut the profile. That works on inside corners but I can't recall what I did for outside corners.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    I've done that. You cut a 45% angle and then use a coping saw to cut the profile. That works on inside corners but I can't recall what I did for outside corners.
                    I just got the outside joint dead neat and then used filler to tidy up the gaps on the inside of the skirting. Not sure what else you can do !?

Comment

Working...
                    X