• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darling to shelve NHS IT system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soviet Army is no more!

I worked on NHS spine quite enjoyed it actually. Some stonking boxes to play with and an directory with 2 million objects in it.

They fed us well, we managed to spend £892 at the local Thai takeway one night on an all-weekend transition, three people ordered lobster. Three people left lobster too....

At the other end of the scale the next morning the relief transition manager ordered 10 pizzas for 75 people, there was a near riot - not even a slice each...

Nice to know the tax payers money is not going to waste....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      Again, why is this a good idea?
      Because it will save £11.99 bln that's why!

This amount of money is enough to buy 30-40 data centers around the world, FFS - why on earth it costs so much?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That's my 2 point plan to finish with ze spekulants.
        And all commerce as prices become more volatile as buyers / sellers cannot match their supply / demand profiles.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          They don't have a National Health Service.
          "France, like other countries in Europe, has a system of universal health care largely financed by government through a system of national health insurance. In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "best overall health care" in the world.[1] "

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_France

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            And all commerce as prices become more volatile as buyers / sellers cannot match their supply / demand profiles.
            Based on what volatility speculators caused to commodities in the last few years I'd take the risk of them being removed completely out of the picture.

Would have price of oil go up 10 times with demand only edging up some 20%? I doubt it - it should not be possible to invest in buying oil, only if you are actually investing into oil exploration and drilling. This would actually make shares of those companies more attractive - ability to bypass these real life businesses and buy paper oil futures is having serious negative effect on those companies in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              They don't have a National Health Service.
              I think they do, agreed, many are decentralized and part private (eg Germany), but national none the less.
              As regards the cost of health care to the individual citizen, £170Bn would have bought a lot of health care policies for a lot of people.
              Nothing like a free market to shake up an out of control Quango!

PZZ

Comment

Oh thats OK then..... I'd much rather they saved some money and sent my personal, confidential data across a public network

Comment

Oh thats OK then..... I'd much rather they saved some money and sent my personal, confidential data across a public network
                  Are you suggesting creating physically new network just for NHS data to be sent across?

One word - PKI.

This problem was solved long time ago - these days processors are so fast that it is criminal to charge so much for just building one large database.

Frankly, NHS is large enough to hire its own in house team who'd design software for their own needs by customising standard components bought off different vendors.

Comment

The internet can be as secure as any other network, managed by people who know what they are doing.

Companies such as http://www.bemac.com/ have been doing it for a couple of decades.

Not used internet banking?? Far more critical data here than anything my GP would ever have on me!

PZZ
                    Last edited by pzz76077; 6 December 2009, 21:43.

Comment

So without knowing the requirements of what needs to be delivered, are you saying your company can deliver for a fixed price what the NHS are currently spending 12 billion on for 10 million pounds? Would you be prepared to sign a contract to that effect?

Comment

Working...
                      X