• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A very bright idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to sound like a piss-take, or harsh, but is is actually a serious question. (Consider it a bit of 'hard loving').
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I have 3 kids. They are noisy. Sometimes I want them to be quiet. Take today for example we are having a family gathering (Aunties/Uncles/Grandparents) etc etc.
    Errm. So these kids - are they not part of the family, then?

How are they supposed to learn good behaviour and social skills if they are sent away when there are get-togethers?

Surely good little boys and girls should be being trained to sit quietly and speak when spoken to?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      This is going to sound like a piss-take, or harsh, but is is actually a serious question. (Consider it a bit of 'hard loving').Errm. So these kids - are they not part of the family, then?

How are they supposed to learn good behaviour and social skills if they are sent away when there are get-togethers?

Surely good little boys and girls should be being trained to sit quietly and speak when spoken to?
      Totally agree RC. To be fair, you haven't met my kids. (To quote Ben Elton, "It's like being held hostage by midget terrorists") I dote on my kids I really do, but I will have enough trouble today with the adults. It's 'er family. Can't stickum. Neither can she.

Plus we have some long journeys coming up and an in car DVD did seem like a bright idea.

For example, we had a friend once who (before we had kids) used to put her kids to bed with a DVD to watch.

We vowed never to do that. Every night it's a lovely family routine, and they brush teeth, jimjams on and two stories read to them.

Just sometimes, and the emphasis is on sometimes, it would be handy to have a portable DVD player. As I said before, this is not to be used as a substitute for parenting.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

As I said before, this is not to be used as a substitute for parenting.
        Oops. So you did.

What about a mug of Calpol each? (Perhaps with a dash of brandy.)
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I have 3 kids. They are noisy. Sometimes I want them to be quiet. Take today for example we are having a family gathering (Aunties/Uncles/Grandparents) etc etc. They are great kids, but would be even greater if they had a nice shiny portable DVD player to huddle round.

I'm not for one minute meaning this as a parenting substitute, but something I can wheel out while the adults are having coffees after lunch, say.

For real VFM I wanted something that could be used in the car on long journeys, and can then be taken out of the car and used portably while at said relo's house.

A budget of £100. Anyone got any ideas? I have plundered most sites but it seems they are either for the car or not. No hybrids.
          My daughter was given an acoustic solutions portable dvd and it was great for long journeys, or if she wanted to watch some kids film while we were watching something else on the big telly. But one day started to fizz and crack, the battery getting very hot. Don't know what happened but it went in the bin and it was probably lucky I was around when it happened. I know another relative has got her another one for christmas, they can be a good tool for occupying them for a while. Either that or good old fashioned bribery I find works well. The current threat is going on the naughty list - "he's watching you know".

Anyway, you should find one for around that price.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Oops. So you did.

What about a mug of Calpol each? (Perhaps with a dash of brandy.)
            Medised or phenergan is what you need rather than calpol.

During her first 13 1/2 months of life, my elder daughter slept through the night once. I remember saying to a pharmacist "this says does not cause drowsiness. What use is that to me?!?!?!?!!"

How we all survived I'll never know.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have to know if my "gadar" is working correctly as it never has. The number of times I have presumed someone was and they weren't

So, are you?
              No, but as Gonzo says, the world is a complex place.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Blimey, who are you kidding? Well behaved, yes. Speak when spoken to, not a chance.

Actually, I think you hit on an important point. They are part of the family and therefore should be part of the gathering, a very important part of the gathering.

Comment

Offer to buy the kids a DVD player if they promise not to think of a piebald donkey for a whole hour.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Bit late I know, but I bought a Ferguson 2 screen dvd player a few years back, cost around £100 for long journeys, not the best of makes but it's been dropped several times, had stuff spilt on it and still works without fault.

It's also been useful at home when one of the kids wants to watch something different to the other. (I have 3 also!).

Comment

It's 'er family. Can't stickum.
                      I feel your pain.
                      Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                      X