• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When are the bankers going to be punished for their failure?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The bankers are spending their tax-payer funded bonuses carefully.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ahD2WoDAL9h0
    “I just wrote my first reference for a gun permit,” said a friend, who told me of swearing to the good character of a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. banker who applied to the local police for a permit to buy a pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      “I just wrote my first reference for a gun permit,” said a friend, who told me of swearing to the good character of a Goldman Sachs Group Inc. banker who applied to the local police for a permit to buy a pistol.

Evidently in the USA they are arming themselves to the teeth ready for an uprising when the USA defaults and goes bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Evidently in the USA they are arming themselves to the teeth ready for an uprising when the USA defaults and goes bankrupt.
        So, that's like basically they are investing their soon-to-be-worthless dollars into the only commodity that will matter, guns?

Have you ever thought about why there is no decent zombie movie (comedy Shaun of the Dead excluded) was made in this country? That's cuz no guns to shoot them, they'd eat the population quickly - come to think of it that's what Triffids did

Comment

Have you ever thought about why there is no decent zombie movie (comedy Shaun of the Dead excluded) was made in this country? That's cuz no guns to shoot them, they'd eat the population quickly
          Put that down on your shotgun licence application. It will probably speed through the process at the police station.

Comment

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/b...-200912042283/

Comment

Stop being such a banker!

Comment

So, that's like basically they are investing their soon-to-be-worthless dollars into the only commodity that will matter, guns?

Have you ever thought about why there is no decent zombie movie (comedy Shaun of the Dead excluded) was made in this country? That's cuz no guns to shoot them, they'd eat the population quickly - come to think of it that's what Triffids did
                Great film, Shaun of the Dead. Was filmed 1/2 a mile down the road from where I live.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog's Heinous
                  I can't believe that you lot seem generally sympathetic to the banksters. So you don't have a problem with paying more tax for the next 15 to 20 years (or more) to fill the enormous black-hole they've created with their investment-gambling? And you're quite happy to see them get massively rewarded from tax-payers' money for this unbelievably huge failure? Lets face it, they would be out on their @rse if it weren't for hundreds of billions of pounds of taxpayers' money being thrown at this lame-a55ed banking system. Do you have no sympathy for the thousands of ordinary people who are out of a job as a result of this whole massive economic failure? Maybe your views would change if it were you that had lost your job and were struggling to make ends meet.

How much sympathy do you think the banksters would have for IT workers in the event that those IT workers screwed up on even a tiny fraction of the scale of the banksters failure (e.g. 1 percent (*800 billion quid = 8 billion))? Absolutely ZERO! If you've ever worked on a trading floor in an investment bank, you will know that these idiots are quite comfortable with talking to you like you were a piece of tulip on the pavement, in the event of a problem arising with the IT system you work on.

Of course, the government and the regulators deserve to be severely criticised too, but as far as I know, they are at least not expecting to receive millions of pounds of bonuses for one year's work.

Dog's Heinous
                  Tellin' it like it is!
                  It is easy to forget that one of the first things that the Labour government did after being elected in 1997 was to rip up the old self-regulatory system for the investment business and replace it with the civil service type approach (FSA).

They really should not have done that because they are the wrong people to devise the structure and as we have now seen, the bits that have gone wrong are the bits they didn't understand.

So if anyone is culpable, it is one chap called Gordon Brown.

Still, there are a whole load of new standards about what can and cannot be said to the general public when transacting investment business so it was not a complete disaster.

Comment

Seriously, it's all Gordon's fault. And as one commenter in today's Grauniad said "The City was OK whilst they were bankrolling Gordon's spending plans, but now the money has dried up he's spitting in their faces". Personally I believe we should be encouraging banks to set up here, not encouraging them to leave. The bankers are being scapegoated for Gordon's spending bubble and who are saying "hang the bankers"? The fluffy bunnies who took out 5x mortgages. It's a huge game of pass the buck and la la la I can't hear you. The Government should take responsibility for lack of regulation in all markets and not putting money aside during the boom, the people should take responsibility for fuelling the housing bubble and lack of foresight and the bankers....just tried to make a profit.

I would distribute the blame as 70% Gordon, 15% Us, 15% Bankers.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      I would distribute the blame as 70% Gordon, 15% Us, 15% Bankers.
                      and what about those, incl, on here, who said forget btl, forget trying to make a fast buck. pay off your mortgage. A house is for living in, not an investment.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X