• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mind the gap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had the one where I've been put forward for a gig at a client I've worked at before. They've invited me in, and then been faced with some smart-arse who tries to say I've not worked their before. OK I may be on CUK a lot, so maybe should say 'billed' instead on 'worked'.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I've had the one where I've been put forward for a gig at a client I've worked at before. They've invited me in, and then been faced with some smart-arse who tries to say I've not worked their before. OK I may be on CUK a lot, so maybe should say 'billed' instead on 'worked'.
      It worked the other way once for me. Just because a salesman dragged me into a customer on the way to lunch one day, a year later that customer was convinced I was responsible for supplying the system which he wasn't happy with. I'd had absolutely nowt to do with it, but that didn't convince him.
      Last edited by Sysman; 26 November 2009, 11:42. Reason: grammar
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A five year gig can easily become a six year gig.

By the way, some places do check references. I have just completed a couple for past colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
          A five year gig can easily become a six year gig.

By the way, some places do check references. I have just completed a couple for past colleagues.
          5 year gig!
          I get bored after 5 months!
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            5 year gig!
            My current contract is in its 14th year. Admittedly, the last 5 years have been a tad dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              5 year gig!
              WSS

One of the joys of contracting for me was an escape from the crushing tedium of working at the same company doing the same crap day in day out with no end in sight.
              The thought of it still gives me the shivers
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I would tend to agree. I generally only usually stick around for at most a couple of years. However, when you have experienced a longish period on the bench, you may be tempted to stick with something longer thereafter. Particularly if the work is sufficiently varied. Oh, plus I was able to work from home for three days of the week!

Comment

Working...
                X