• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT in Europe has had it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Isn't it small businesses and independent contractors that lubricate the machinery of the big dinosaurs ?

Kill off the small businesses and the big ones will die their own death. I already have the impression that most big IT firms in Europe are propped up by government contracts but don't really produce anything very competitive.
    EU mandarins detest contractors and the self-employed, because these people defy their neat bureaucratic "pyramid" model where everyone works for large companies who are easier to keep tabs on and if necessary threaten.

A contractor who approves of the EU in anything like its present form is like a parent keeping on a paedophile lodger who they know is grooming their 12 year old child, or worse ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Also, Tesco signed a deal the other day, but that was with a septic firm that outsources all it's global stuff to India.
      and how long before they have to start employing contractors to rectify the mess that they originally created...

I'm currently looking forward in one of my projects to having to get another onshore developer to reqrite the mess that the offshore developers are currently creating and then having fun with the offshore system testers who pass everything only to find in UAT that they haven't tested it correctly.

Thankfully I'll be outta that in 3 weeks time.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        EU mandarins detest contractors and the self-employed, because these people defy their neat bureaucratic "pyramid" model where everyone works for large companies who are easier to keep tabs on and if necessary threaten.
        Looks like they prefer people to be on the dole then instead, that'll do the unemployed stats a lot of good.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

The main problem I observe with IT in Europe is the preponderance of 'professional managers', i.e. people who don't know anything about the thing they're managing. At a certain level it is OK, but when you have a project manager on a coding project who knows nothing about coding, you know it's all going to end very badly.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            The main problem I observe with IT in Europe is the preponderance of 'professional managers', i.e. people who don't know anything about the thing they're managing. At a certain level it is OK, but when you have a project manager on a coding project who knows nothing about coding, you know it's all going to end very badly.
            WHS...

A manager who has performed some or similar tasks that you are doing can be a real help (unless they're one of those bastard hands-on managers)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yes, and the more the budgets are squeezed, the more of these seem to appear. I wouldn't pretend to be able to manage a team of mechanical engineers, because i've never done any mechanical engineering, so I wouldn't be able to understand what they're doing or saying. Why then should software developers have to work under some guy who's never written a line of code in his life?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Why then should software developers have to work under some guy who's never written a line of code in his life?
                Are software developers the best people managers?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Don't need to be 'best' just need to be ever so slightly 'less sucky'.

HTH

threaded in "managing by walking about' mode.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Don't need to be 'best' just need to be ever so slightly 'less sucky'.

HTH

threaded in "managing by walking about' mode.
                    I would take someone with people skills even though they may not have used a particular technology before, to manage a project every time over someone that has coded a bit before so no that doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      Some are very bad managers, some are very good. I've met software developers who do a very good job of leading their team. I'm a tester (maybe a slightly different strain of Nerdus Geekificus) and have managed up to 25 people on test projects. I believe people enjoy working for me, because they've told me so and they've told senior management at my clients. I also ensure the job gets done. I don't know if that makes me a good manager, but it doesn't make me a bad one.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X