• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My son Joins up today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck - brave lad.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      My lad is eighteen and has been working as a builders mate for the last year or so. I went to see the band Yes with him last night and he broke the news to me. He is signing up for the army this morning.
      First off, good luck to him. He would have heard enough of your experiences (sentence does continue) to go in with his eyes open. So his reasons for joining will be well judged.

My own view on the services is that much as I respect people who join up, my trust in the decisions of those in the UK goverment who decide where they are deployed has diminished. It was pretty low to start with some 20 years ago, when I was able to easily dismiss the armed srvices as a suitable career path.

As a reader of the Big Issue I'm also aware that ex-forces types are disproportionately represented amongst the homeless. Whether that's because those who need the structure of institutions are thus more likely to join up etc. I don't know. But to me its another worrying sign that the state fails in its duty to those who've served. Please correct me if this information is wrong.

I am grateful that there are people prepared to do the peacekeeping duties, disaster aid, anti-drug smuggling patrols etc. in a British uniform.
      Last edited by TinTrump; 23 November 2009, 09:59. Reason: mangled spelling

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
        First off, good luck to him. He would have heard enough of your experiences (sentence does continue) to go in with his eyes open. So his reasons for joining will be well judged.

My own view on the services is that much as I respect people who join up, my trust in the decisions of those in the UK goverment who decide where they are deployed has diminished. It was pretty low to start with some 20 years ago, when I was able to easily dismiss the armed srvices as a suitable career path.

As a reader of the Big Issue I'm also aware that ex-forces types are disproprtionately represented amongst the homeless. Whether that's because those who need the structure of institutions are thus more likely to join up etc. I don't know. But to me its another worrying sign that the state fails in its duty to those who've served. Please correct me if this information is wrong.

I am grateful that there are people prepared to do the peacekeeping duties, disaster aid, anti-drug smuggling patrols etc. in a British uniform.
        Well, we were sitting in the pub near the Apollo last night, and he asked me half a dozen question, typical 18 yr old questions.
        How often will i get home
        Will I learn to drive
        Will I get beaten if I fck up
        Will I be able to stay with my mate
        Will I learn to fly a helicopter

Then he asked me a Tin Trump/Alf type question.

When I eventually leave, how hard will it be for me to fit back in ?

Totally impressed and gobsmacked, I told him about my experiences. Maybe it will help.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Good luck to him.

If he clever enough to get in the Engineers or is he going to be stuck with infantry (or is he suicidal/homicidal enough to want it)?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Well, we were sitting in the pub near the Apollo last night, and he asked me half a dozen question, typical 18 yr old questions.
            How often will i get home
            Will I learn to drive
            Will I get beaten if I fck up
            Will I be able to stay with my mate
            Will I learn to fly a helicopter

Then he asked me a Tin Trump/Alf type question.

When I eventually leave, how hard will it be for me to fit back in ?

Totally impressed and gobsmacked, I told him about my experiences. Maybe it will help.

Your son sounds very switched on. I guess he will do well in the Army.
            Considered joining the Navy in my youth but did think it was for me in the end.

Good luck to him, as said before - brave lad in the current environment!
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What do you think about conscription ? is it the magic solution to keep the young lads in line and teach them some good values ?

It'd also be a good indicator as to the loyalties of many members of our society.

Best of luck to your son EO, he's a brave lad.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
              X