• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covering letters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to but now I just bung eveything in the job basket on jobserve and hit apply, takes about 10 minutes. Previously I was spending a couple of hours a day tailoring my applications but, frankly, it didn't make any difference and it was also getting to be a bit soul destroying.

Comment

Interesting

The results so far are interesting - around half don't send covering letters at all and the rest do so occasionally or always send them.

Speaking to agents they say that most people dont send them. If we have a profile, achievements and skills section at the beginning of the CV then I would have thought that would do the job of the covering letter.

In days gone past, the CV was a different format and so there was the need for a covering letter to highlight our skills.

There could be any number of reasons why what the agents are saying and the poll do not match. Even though I dont send CLs, if a significant number of contractors on this board (who could possibly be my competitors for a role) are sending them then maybe I should have a think abut sending them myself.

Comment

I voted occasionally. However, it is probably only about one in five (maybe more) that I will send a covering letter for and only if the application process asks for it.

For example, I applied for a job the other day and the online form had a box for cv and a box for covering letter and both were a condition of completion of the form (had an asterix(?)), and therefore did a quick covering letter and uploaded it with the cv.

However, if I can away without snding a covering letter then I will. It contains no extra info, just an intro and highlights main skill/reason for applying, however this is listed at the top of the cv as you say, so I see no benefit.

Maybe the likes of me have skewed your results.

Comment

By "cover letter" do you mean "a self-promoting paragraph on the email that the CV's attached to?"

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            By "cover letter" do you mean "a self-promoting paragraph on the email that the CV's attached to?"
            I was thinking specifically about Jobserve where you have the option of using your default CV or uploading another CV and/or a covering letter.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              I include promotional text in the email as a covering letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
                I was thinking specifically about Jobserve where you have the option of using your default CV or uploading another CV and/or a covering letter.
                I was also wondering about the Jobserve covering letter option - I've never attached one myself.

This is a great poll.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  the pimps never read them so, no
                  Think of the pimps as imbecile, so provide a simple bulleted statement of how you match the target skill set. If you make the pimps life easy by spoon feeding them, you are more likely to get your foot in the interview door.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                    Think of the pimps as imbecile, so provide a simple bulleted statement of how you match the target skill set. If you make the pimps life easy by spoon feeding them, you are more likely to get your foot in the interview door.
                    WHS++
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                      WHS

Comment

Working...
                      X