• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cash in hand or cheque

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mate of mine runs a car servicing and repair business. He will do cash jobs for friends that are discounted by the VAT and don't go through the books. He said it was a bit of a nightmare keeping on top of it all because he didn't want to get to the point where he was reclaiming more VAT than he was collecting as it would look suspect.

Twenty years ago I brought a guitar from a shop. When I went to pay for it with cash the bloke knocked 12.5% off the price and said "That's the best I can do." I was innocent of such things in those days and had no idea why I suddenly got this discount.

I have turned down quotes from removal firms in the past because the bloke assessing the quote has said "If you don't want to pay the VAT we can do something about that."

It's endemic.

Comment

So it sounds like getting 10% off should not be too much of a problem... thanks people.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        So it sounds like getting 10% off should not be too much of a problem... thanks people.
        Yes, but you don't normally get the full 15% VAT off in my experience. Some still give you a receipt, if there is any sort of guarantee involved I'd ask for one, if not who cares. Being known as a cash payer is also good for getting them to turn up in future.

Comment

Working...
        X