• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another recipe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redneck Meatloaf.
    The cheapest meat dish you can make. Ideal for roasts and sandwiches.

You will need:
    Minced beef. (or road kill)
    Oats
    One egg.
    Salt

Optional: onion, garlic herbs whatever etc

Finely chop your options.
    Kneed minced meat and add options.
    Kneed and add oats a little at a time until all binds nicely.
    The oats will help bind, they will also soak up the tasty fat and once cooked will look and taste the same as the meat, it will bulk it out to an extra 30% rather than shrinking it 50%. Add the egg just before the end.

Place in a bread shaped tin and shove in an oven.

Test to see if cooked. (an easy way with meat is to put a life in for a few seconds and check the temperature of the knife with test to see if cooked. (an easy way with meat is to put a life in for a few seconds and check the temperature of the knife with our fingers. Serve hot as a roast or cold sliced in sandwiches.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

this is what i used for my masterchef audition years ago

Thai Duck Salad
      (Serves 2)

Ingredients

Marinade Dressing Salad
      ½ tblsp coriander seeds 1 tblsp fish sauce 1 large duck breast
      ¼ tsp black peppercorns juice 1 lime ¼ unripe mango
      1 cardamom pods ½ tblsp palm sugar 2 tblsp coriander leaves
      10g coriander root 2 tblsp soy sauce 100g rice noodles
      ½ shallot 1 tsp creamed coconut ¼ red chilli
      1 cloves garlic
      1 ½ stalks lemongrass
      5 dried lime leaves
      ½ tblsp shrimp paste
      1 ½ red chillies
      ¼ tblsp sea salt

Method

For the marinade, roast the coriander seeds, peppercorns and cardamom pods in a frying pan or oven at 200c till aromatic, allow to cool slightly and crush to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle.
      Chop the coriander root, garlic, shallot, lemongrass and chillies finely, either place in a mortar and pestle and pound to a paste or blend in a food processor.
      Mix the dried roasted spices, salt and wet ingredients to a paste, add the shrimp paste and mix well.

Trim the skin on the duck breast and slice diagonally, taking care not to slice too far into the meat, turn the breast over and score lightly underneath.
      Apply the marinade to the duck breast and coat thoroughly. Place in an airtight container and marinade overnight in the fridge or for 24 hours.

Sear the skin side of the duck over a low heat till the fat has been partially rendered for roughly 5-7 mins. Place skin side down on a wire tray over a baking sheet and place in a pre-heated oven at 200c/400f/gm6 for 12 minutes until lightly pink. Remove the duck and allow to rest.

To make the salad, pour boiling water over the noodles, leave for 5 minutes and then rinse in cold water, once cold, place in a sieve or colander and allow to drain.
      Peel the mango and slice into thin strips 1 inch in length.
      Chop the coriander leaves roughly, slice the ¼ chilli very thinly and slice the duck breast thinly.

In a bowl, make the dressing by whisking the soy sauce, fish sauce, palm sugar and creamed coconut together. Allow to stand for 10 mins. Strain through a fine sieve into another bowl to remove any lumps.

To assemble the salad; place the noodles in a bowl and pour half the dressing over, Mix the noodles, coriander and mango together and place in the centre of the plate. Place half the duck slices on top of the noodles and garnish with the sliced chilli
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Am making roast hare with grapes this evening; shall report on success or failure.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Thai Duck Salad my masterchef audition
          I'll get your coat
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            800g Sirloin Joint
            1 Tin Tomatoes
            2 scotch bonnets
            1 bottle of dark beer
            3 cloves garlic
            1 tbsp oregano
            1 large white onion
            Tomato paste
            beef stock
            S+P

Chop beef into inch size cubes and brown in a heavy pan then remove
            soften onions adding garlic half way through
            re-add beef inc juices and chopped chillies (seeds optional)
            add the tomatoes (and good squirt of paste), oregano, half the beer and tomato tin's worth of beef stock
            add S&P
            once it starts to simmer, lower the heat and leave it for hour and a half.
            after the 90mins check liquid is reduced and thickening and start your rice cooking.
            By the time the rice is done the meat should be covered in a thick sauce and falling apart nicely.

Enjoy with the glass of beer left over

Serves two with an extra even better portion for you the next day

Tonight, I cook a la Pondlife

for dark beer , I bought a bottle of Old Peculiar from Tescos

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I'll get your coat
              I was bored, didn't get through as I used to be a chef
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

About once a week we have this as a meal:

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio ala Darmstadt (for 3)

- spaghetti
                - water
                - 2 large hot chillis
                - 1 peperoni salami (or other hot spicy salami)
                - garlic (I use around 3 cloves or half a fresh one)
                - olive oil (a good splodge)
                - optional: basil and/or spring onions

- very finely chop the chillis and garlic
                - slice the salami into slices about 6-7mm thick and then each slice in half and then half again (quartered)
                - boil the water
                - when the water has boiled then heat the olive oil and put the chillis, garlic and salami in and allow to simmer gently. Sometimes I add a few splashes of Tabasco or other chilli sauces
                - once the spaghetti has cooked, then drain
                - take the chillis, garlic and salami off the heat and pour the spaghetti in
                - mix it all up and serve
                - garnish with basil and sliced onion rings if desired

For a posh evening replace the salami with prawns and garnish with Parmesan
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                X