• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does Al Qaeda really exist...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al Qaeda has withered to not much and moved to Pakistan. Without a state sponsor they don't have the stability to do much. Even in their heyday they were loosely organised - calling a group "affiliated to Al-Qaeda" usually meant they shared the same views and one or two people in it might have met some Al Qaeda people occasionally.

Comment

It's not an organisation, it's just something for any old islamic militant to call himself and feel important.

Comment

They exist as a concept, just like Anonymous.

When someone manages to pull off some terrorist activity, they say they are part of Al-Qaeda.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a propaganda campaign to make the public believe in the presence of an identified entity representing the 'devil' only in order to drive the TV watcher to accept a unified international leadership for a war against terrorism. The country behind this propaganda is the US. "

Former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Looming_Tower

Very good factual book, which traces the roots of Al Queda as an organisation, and the agencies who helped create them, then to fight them.

Yes it exists, for a while in a very real capacity, and now more as an umbrella organisation or to promote an ideology. And given room to breathe it could quite easily become a functioning terrorist group once again.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by EC4N View Post
              "The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a propaganda campaign to make the public believe in the presence of an identified entity representing the 'devil' only in order to drive the TV watcher to accept a unified international leadership for a war against terrorism. The country behind this propaganda is the US. "

Former British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook
              I can tell you a funny story about him when he was my boss as head honcho at the foreign office, but it'll have to be in a pub with plenty of beer first.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
                They dont exist in the form that is presented by the media. But you know what I have come to think ? People dont care. I dont care that people die out there , or whatever happens that does not really impact me or my relatives. So do you. Sure there are some that care publicly but the bulk of the population is one big horde of sheep...

I now post crap on forums , I must be doing good progress in my programming endeavours .
                have you tried to get on an airplane lately?
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  I can tell you a funny story about him when he was my boss as head honcho at the foreign office, but it'll have to be in a pub with plenty of beer first.
                  Did it involve a pair of comedy fake breasts and an large aubergine?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Al Qaeda has withered to not much and moved to Pakistan. Without a state sponsor they don't have the stability to do much. Even in their heyday they were loosely organised - calling a group "affiliated to Al-Qaeda" usually meant they shared the same views and one or two people in it might have met some Al Qaeda people occasionally.
                    Do a google search for "Blackwater behind bombing"
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      ...or is it a bogeyman dreamt up by the powers that be to justify their actions?

In Iraq the battle was against "Insurgents", in Afghanistan the fight is against the Taliban. Where does Al Qaeda fit into all this?

BTW, how are we going transport all that oil out of Iraq?
                      I would (strongly) recommend you lookup and watch The Power of Nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                      X