• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been a developer now for 3 hours ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobShawadiwadi View Post
    This is unfair competings.

I was reading of many books before I had my turn at the computer. Only after been doing codes for many weeks was employer selling me as software engineer.
    Get a twitter account.

HTH

Comment

I was reading of many books before I had my turn at the computer. Only after been doing codes for many weeks was employer selling me as software engineer.
      Bob, you're neglecting your bloggings again. Kindly do the needful and revert.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
        A heap of mis-spelled and poorly punctuated wank by a sockpuppet
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Uh, Bob. Just one doubt...

Did you do the needful in your interview? You read what your friend wrote on the whiteboard, whilst he was standing behind the teleconference camera?

This is very good.

Comment

I am almost certain to secure a dev contract in 3 -4 months, basically the time I will have learned most developer interview questions ...
            Oh dear. I do hope you won't be asked to actually fix anything.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well I have been learning development now for about 3 hours doing some Microsoft HOLs ( I was away for awile but just heard the newest kid on the block - a "snack" , a learning snack !! ) .... I havent written a single line of code yet .... it is just soooo much simplier than I thought - just select this and that , drag this there , fill this field ..... this is easier than I thought ! I can really get into this programming business ... after first look - it is the same as infrastructure - just windows and windows and windows.

Anyway , back to my learning snack - creating a Web Part.

Now , I dare the next agent who calls me to ask me weather I am a developer and can create web parts !
              Well, I think this will guarantee you a chance of a job as a web front end monkey. Have you considered your next core skill however?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                That's what coding is now. Plugging .Net widgets (sorry Weltchy ) together. Fill yer boots. Loooooooooaaaaaaadsa moooooooneeeeeey.

HTH

Control damn it. Control.

Comment

Takes about 5 years experience before you can master .NET, its huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                    Takes about 5 years experience before you can master .NET, its huge.
                    The trick to mastering .NET and development in general is to understand it from first principals. Then it becomes easy. Its mastering how to understand those first principals that require years of practise and experience.

I'm fairly confident that I, or any other expereinced developer, could pick up another mainstream language we're not familiar with, and given a couple of weeks, get to a level of proficiency where we would be comfortable enough to discuss it with an SME for that language.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                      I'm fairly confident that I, or any other expereinced developer, could pick up another mainstream language we're not familiar with, and given a couple of weeks, get to a level of proficiency where we would be comfortable enough to discuss it with an SME for that language.
                      Agreed. I'm Java/J2EE. Give me a week to become productive in .NET, another two to three and I might write some reasonable code. Three months in I'd expect to be able to pimp out those skills. One year before I actually understand the cleaner ways to work around the imperfections in the language.

But only because I understand a bunch of the nastier aspects of Java. If I wasn't looking for the tricks, hacks and kludges, becoming competent would take much longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X