• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At last, off the bench after 11 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That must be nice.

You're right not to lose your nerve and take on the bottomfeeder contracts too early. Hope it's a good contract!
    tl
    Thanks. I have kept myself busy with lots of DIY and this is my third downturn so I knew the score but it was a bit of a worry.

The different thing this time around is that only the young, just out of school agents seem to bat an eye when faced with a CV containing my most recent contract being more then six months ago.

My previous longest length of time off was about three months back in 2002 but it did make a difference being busy with other things and not looking for roles. Spending three months looking for roles on Jobserve every hour or so is hard work and I feel for those out there doing that especially when dealing with young agents who no nothing about everything.

Comment

After contracting since 2001 (all of it abroad) I've now taken a permy job that pays very well. Looking at the sh1te rates and the lack of contracts anyway I reckon I've done the right thing.

Comment

Well done worzel !

Comment

Well done. By the way, what area do you work in? I'm in c#/.Net 3.5 /C++ & I've been on the bench for 2 months now with just 1 interview so I'm expecting a long stint myself.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
            The different thing this time around is that only the young, just out of school agents seem to bat an eye when faced with a CV containing my most recent contract being more then six months ago.
            That matches my experience.

I had a lovely call from a bloke from Parity today. "I called to let you know you can cross that gig off your list; I had already arranged interviews when I saw your CV. You shouldn't be on the bench. Can I make some suggestions about your CV? [he did and they made sense] And here's how to get into NPfIT if you want some of that work..."

I must have caught him on a very good day!
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

I had a lovely call from a bloke from Parity today. "I called to let you know you can cross that gig off your list; I had already arranged interviews when I saw your CV. You shouldn't be on the bench. Can I make some suggestions about your CV? [he did and they made sense] And here's how to get into NPfIT if you want some of that work..."

Sorry, I just had to sit down in shock. I think you just mentioned that you found an agent who cared!
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

The only decent agent I ever met now works for Parity, his initials weren't MM by any chance?

If I'm right he's good for a free lunch every other month.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well done WG! And working from home too =

Comment

I do Unix infrastructure type work: middleware, security, backups, storage type work. I tried developer / programming but just lost interest.

Comment

to wg

Comment

Working...
                      X