• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30 years of my life seem to have disappeared.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    It feels just like 1978 again.

Without the flares.
    How strange you should mention that. I've been feeling particularly nostalgic for the late '70s myself, of late. Sounds like we're of the same vintage.

Definitely the best years of my life.

(despite) Jim Callaghan and Dennis Healey, Mike Yarwood taking them off. The Sweeney. Getting pissed up on Harp larger and lime. The flares (of course) with the high button waist bands. The impossible effing shoes. The massive shirt collars. The big fat tie knots.

Sartorial style certainly took a dive in the '70s but it was all such great fun. If I could, I'd go back, Sam-Tyler-like - in a heartbeat.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Do I have to take my 'O' levels all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Do I have to take my 'O' levels all over again?
        No. These days they call them GCSEs and they give them away.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

IIRC 1978 started with a pretty cold winter. My team had several footy matches postponed because of snow or ice.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            Jim Callaghan and Dennis Healey, Mike Yarwood taking them off. The Sweeney.
            Ah Mike Yarwood and the best ever impressionist joke.

taking off Arthur Scarghill, just prior to the miners strike

'And for those of you who say that they can see through me. I'd like to make myself perfectly clear...'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Ah Mike Yarwood and the best ever impressionist joke.

taking off Arthur Scarghill, just prior to the miners strike

'And for those of you who say that they can see through me. I'd like to make myself perfectly clear...'

Yarwood was a genius. Most people think he's dead, but he's still very much with us - although retired.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Yarwood was a genius. Most people think he's dead, but he's still very much with us - although retired.
                WHS - I used to absolutely p**s myself watching Mike Yarwood In Persons. His Brian Clough was my favourite.

ISTR he had an alcohol problem & made a brief comeback on ITV in the 80s. Think I saw him on Have I Got news For You a few years ago but that's about it.

Comment

Before my time, the 80s now that was a great decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
                    Before my time, the 80s now that was a great decade.
                    Oh no it wasn't.

The 1980s were dull, dull, dull.

The Thatcher years. Norman Tebbit's bike. Ronnie Ray-Gun, Steve Bell, Groan...

Clothes and hairstyles were even crapper than in the '70s - if that's possible.

The music was pretty shyte too. New Romantics eh?

1980s --> ROOM 101

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      IIRC 1978 started with a pretty cold winter. My team had several footy matches postponed because of snow or ice.
                      Tell me about it - I had a holiday job in a warehouse near Dudley, and the deisel was frozen solid in the fork lift trucks.

(No training or elf-n-safety BS to drive them in those days - The foreman just let me start, and I soon got the hang of it. The only major prang was reversing into a palette of tomato sauce, which gave everyone quite a fright at first, as they thought all the red stuff was blood!)
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X