• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regional accents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
    I recall reading that a gentle Scottish brogue is well received throughout the UK. Unless spouting from the mouth of the PM.

I like most regional accents as it makes things more interesting but I find Geordies difficult to undertand; I was a best man up there once and I hardly understood a word all day.
    The only accent I have trouble understanding is strong glaswegian but I expect I am not alone in this. I usually have to adopt the nod and smile approach. Other softer scottish accents I find quite soothing though.

Comment

When I first left uni I went for a series of job interviews at Schroeders (sp!) After interviews covering 3 seperate days I was told that I wasn't getting the job - In their words, I was technically the best person for the job but my accent wasn't right. Surely that could have been determined on day 1.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        The only accent I have trouble understanding is strong glaswegian but I expect I am not alone in this. I usually have to adopt the nod and smile approach. Other softer scottish accents I find quite soothing though.
        You'll find a Weedgie accent nice and soothing, accompanied with a kis easily if you go up there and tell people that. ;-)

I get most accents in the UK. Exposure really, we're all exposed to the SE on the telly regularly, but the accents at the edges get way less telly time so people don't understand them as much. Maybe cause I have one, I pay attention more.

Only accent I dislike is the brummie one, maybe just the way it's generally depicted in the meedja, but it doesn't inspire me much Then again, havign a thick west coast brogue does scare people a wee bit
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          If you were hiring for a role would an accent influence your decision?
          In terms of employing someone it can unfortunately have an influence. I have done some interviewing in the past and where it comes in to play is where the role will involve a lot of phone conferences with international locations. I think the Yanks in particular have great difficulty with British regional accents.

I like regional accents and the rich vocabulary they bring with them. I particularly like Geordie and I find some Scottish accents very sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            You'll find a Weedgie accent nice and soothing, accompanied with a kis easily if you go up there and tell people that. ;-)
            I try to keep my mouth shut when i'm in that part of the world. Not into glasgee kissing.

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Only accent I dislike is the brummie one, maybe just the way it's generally depicted in the meedja, but it doesn't inspire me much
            This I find is my problem, and no the meeja doesn't help. Its always the brummie who is depicted as the thick one in tv shows.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
              I recall reading that a gentle Scottish brogue is well received throughout the UK. Unless spouting from the mouth of the PM.

I like most regional accents as it makes things more interesting but I find Geordies difficult to undertand; I was a best man up there once and I hardly understood a word all day.
              That's not a difficult job given the competition, like!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

actually I often get into trouble for being too quiet. They always ask me, is everything ok ? and bug the sh1 te out of me

boring
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  boring
                  <cough>
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There are many variations on "geordie" up here...it's just that you soft southern shi tes don't notice the subtle differences.

Cheryl Cole "speaks" geordie like Ant and Dec, but the Sunderland or Durham twang is much less harsh.
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

I can cope with most accents but I knew a bloke from Ulster who might as well have been speaking Swahili. I don't think I ever understood a word.

Comment

Working...
                      X