• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Postal Strike - Do you have sympathy for the the posties?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I have 2 different postmen that come once a day from different companies, both reliable as clockwork and friendly. The refuse collectors come at least 3 times a week. The rag and bone man comes once a week. The market gardener also comes once a week. The pubs are open decent hours without the threat of instant violence and you can smoke in a lot of them. You can drive at decent speeds on the motorways. A fair bit of the population speak a smattering of English while a good percentage speak very good English. Contract rates are pretty good here and there seems to be no lack of roles to fill. I presume this is because I live in a civilised country
    Apologies, really curious now. May I ask what a rag and bone man is?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      One of the spooky things I found in Denmark is that day to day I meet more people who can speak English than I do when I'm in England. Was really quite disturbing for a while before I realised the truth: the UK truly is a tuliphole.
      Even worse, coming back to Blighty, after working in the Netherlands I got off the Heathrow Express at Paddington. I wanted to get an onward ticket but I could not understand the ticket clerk who had a strong Indian accent. I decided to get the ticket from a machine but when I asked an attendant what platform; I could not understand him too.

The standard of english is better in mainland Europe.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I have 2 different postmen that come once a day from different companies, both reliable as clockwork and friendly. The refuse collectors come at least 3 times a week. The rag and bone man comes once a week. The market gardener also comes once a week. The pubs are open decent hours without the threat of instant violence and you can smoke in a lot of them. You can drive at decent speeds on the motorways. A fair bit of the population speak a smattering of English while a good percentage speak very good English. Contract rates are pretty good here and there seems to be no lack of roles to fill. I presume this is because I live in a civilised country
        How are the Germans coping with immigration? Is it affecting low paid workers for example? And does everyone in German parks seem to be speaking Polish?

Comment

I'm guessing Mr Griffin wouldn't have got such a hard time if you lot were in the audience
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            I'm guessing Mr Griffin wouldn't have got such a hard time if you lot were in the audience
            Where I am one of the parties in the parliament says way worse and have instituted some policies he would love.

How's about foreigners have to attend language lessons and if they fail to attend 85% of classes they get kicked out of the country, if they fail to pass the exams within 3 years they get kicked out of the country. (The level is pretty darn high too, better than 85% of the population.)

Foreigners not allowed benefits for 7 years, even if they've worked.

Foreign spouses have to stump up a bond, which is used to pay any benefits they may claim, and when it is about to run out the remaining is used to buy them a ticket, out of the country.

He's pretty tame considering what similar parties get up to in Europe.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Why doesn't Adam Crozier set a good example by paying himself £5 / hour instead of £millions + more £millions in bonuses? And do some real work.

Anyway it looks as if postal worker managers are joining the strike - I didn't see managers being keen to help do the longer walks that postmen do these days.
              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...in-action.html

Comment

Funny thing is the posties Communication Workers Union has contributed over £5 million quid to Labour party funds since 2001.

Well done Comrades!
                Last edited by Flashman; 23 October 2009, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                  Funny thing is the posties Communication Workers Union has contributed over £5 million quid to Labour party funds since 2001.
                  That reminds me. Is NuLabour still in massive financial debt? I'll do a bit of checking.

Comment

A posties view:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n18/maya01_.html
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Dong View Post
                      Apologies, really curious now. May I ask what a rag and bone man is?
                      An explanation here although I do have to admint I haven't got a clue what this guy shouts. In winter he also collects the ash from boilers. I still remeber the guy who came round our estate in Essex years ago shouting 'any old iron' with a horse and cart. It was a very good way of getting rid of defunct white goods.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X