• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Crash for cash' scam man jailed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Road Traffic Act 1988: “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

Are deer cattle? I think they are.

Anyways, you don't stop for cats, or squirrels, or leaves blowing in the wind.

HTH
    Deer are not cattle. You are on the right track, but it's not as clear cut as you suggest. Where it is an animal as defined by the RTA just make the incident reportable. Equally the owner of the animal is responsible for it's conduct.

What action you choose - e.g. mowing it down be it squirrel or dog - should be dictated by overall road conditions and safety of others. Though I can thoroughly recommend not hitting a cow under any circumstances.

Comment

Road Traffic Act 1988: “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

Are deer cattle? I think they are.

Anyways, you don't stop for cats, or squirrels, or leaves blowing in the wind.
      If you're referring to section 170 of the Act, this refers to a drivers duty to stop to report an accident, after you've already hit it - not whether you should stop to prevent yourself from hitting it in the first place.

So that doesn't really answer my question - is there a law that prevents a driver from bringing their car to a stop if there is an obstruction in the road?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Deer are not cattle. You are on the right track, but it's not as clear cut as you suggest. Where it is an animal as defined by the RTA just make the incident reportable. Equally the owner of the animal is responsible for it's conduct.

What action you choose - e.g. mowing it down be it squirrel or dog - should be dictated by overall road conditions and safety of others. Though I can thoroughly recommend not hitting a cow under any circumstances.
        I can also recommend not hitting a deer. Dad smacked one and did the rad in. That was in a '79 pontiac - a large car. In our current smaller car I imagine it would take the front of the car off!
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I can also recommend not hitting a deer. Dad smacked one and did the rad in. That was in a '79 pontiac - a large car. In our current smaller car I imagine it would take the front of the car off!
          Presumably this BMW driver wouldn't recommend it either

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...z4-convertible

Assuming it's not a fake...

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            On the deer subject. I was driving to work one morning and came across a battered allegro in a ditch. I checked it out, got the people out and they mentioned they had just hit a deer (they stray from the local estate). Anyway said deer was decidedly dead but apart from a little blood on it's nose looked fine. I rang the estate office to tell them they might want to pick it up.

Curiously as I went past the estate shop on my way home that night they were advertising fresh venison (I'm sure it wasn't the same one but I did think it funny).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Curiously as I went past the estate shop on my way home that night they were advertising fresh venison (I'm sure it wasn't the same one but I did think it funny).
              Apparently the laws of road kill are:
              1. If you hit it you can't claim it
              2. If you are immediately behind the vehicle who hit, you can claim it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One of my plan Bs does a roaring trade in constantly videoing cameras built into cars, so that people who like nice cars can protect their NCB.
                These come with 6 video cameras recording a 360° view.

I once had a chap trying to cause a crash with me. He tried about 4 times, but that was in the days when I was regularly driving in Paris, so he stood no chance.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Apparently the laws of road kill are:
                  1. If you hit it you can't claim it
                  2. If you are immediately behind the vehicle who hit, you can claim it.
                  I think that is only the case where it is an animal that would require a licence, mainly game. However there is also the question of ownership, thus wild pheasant ok for somebody other than who killed it to claim, but if it was "owned" and had simply strayed then even car 2 would be poaching should they claim it.

Comment

Working...
                  X