• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

City of London - Doooooomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I was only using him for sex. He wasn't that good a shag anyway.

That's cruel, that is.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Not wishing to sound like "If France or Germany are so great, why don't you frak off there", but if France and Germany are so much better than the UK, why are you based here and on in either of those two countries?
      UK is my home now. I've moved once for good reasons, and so far there are no good reasons to move to Germany or France (if I were to move again it would be to USA).

The matter of fact is that Germany and France did a lot of things rights where as UK didn't - they make good cars, they have very fast and cheap railway system, Airbus is a real competitor to Boeing - without France/Germany it would not have happened.

The irony is that the City is not competitor to either of those countries - one would imagine it is USA that would wish City to be killed off rather than Germany or France who only give a tulip about City is because it is destructive force that affects their well being, not because they want to take over hot air sales.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        UK is my home now. I've moved once for good reasons, and so far there are no good reasons to move to Germany or France (if I were to move again it would be to USA).

The matter of fact is that Germany and France did a lot of things rights where as UK didn't - they make good cars, they have very fast and cheap railway system, Airbus is a real competitor to Boeing - without France/Germany it would not have happened.

The irony is that the City is not competitor to either of those countries - one would imagine it is USA that would wish City to be killed off rather than Germany or France who only give a tulip about City is because it is destructive force that affects their well being, not because they want to take over hot air sales.
        I would have thought in your position you would have gone to the USA first of all.

The US (esp. West Coast) seems far more welcoming to tech start-ups than the UK is.

And you'd be with kindred spirits. Networking/synergy and all that good stuff.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          I would have thought in your position you would have gone to the USA first of all.

The US (esp. West Coast) seems far more welcoming to tech start-ups than the UK is.

And you'd be with kindred spirits. Networking/synergy and all that good stuff.
          It's true, USA is far friendlier to tech starups - that's the big irony that the City is supposedly great investment house, but it is not investing into this country - unlike USA and I dare say unlike Germany/France.

I came to UK as exchange student and stayed here, would only move elsewhere if I absolutely have to - have had enough of immigration visa tulip in my life, don't want to to through it again even if it makes me more money.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            "A funky little hideout for naughty boys"

The vegetarian option.

Comment

It's true, USA is far friendlier to tech starups - that's the big irony that the City is supposedly great investment house, but it is not investing into this country - unlike USA and I dare say unlike Germany/France.

I came to UK as exchange student and stayed here, would only move elsewhere if I absolutely have to - have had enough of immigration visa tulip in my life, don't want to to through it again even if it makes me more money.
              Yes. I see that. But if I were in your shoes I think I'd be off to California.

Comment

I like to be at home.

Comment

I like to be at home.

Fair enough.

Comment

I like to be at home.

But you would be in San Fransisco.

Ops, I must stop saying things like that. Atw has told me off.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I asked for goverment funding for plan b and was told that there was no chance and they listed their reasons. I told them that they would have said no to google when it started up with those reasons. That went over their heads.

Funding in the UK is only meant to keep bums on seats, they would rather pay 20 grand to give you a graduate that will cost 20 grand rather than pay 20 grand on the chance that you could turn the thing into a 20 million turnover company.

I have had offers of VC funding but only from outside the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X