• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of the postal service?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presumably we'll be getting a lot more public sector strikes over the coming years.

Comment

I was amazed when my post arrived at 8:00 this morning...

....then I realised it was a kind neighbour from a few streets away where my post had been wrongly delivered.

Regular occurence round these parts. They always get the house number right, just not the street.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

If any of us kicked up a fuss when our employers/clients wanted to modernise and demanded that they take on some of our ideas we would be thrown out on the street within 30 seconds.

They are living in a fantasy world.

Comment

First decide what you want of Royal Mail:

1. A national public service that carries a letter from any part of the Kingdom to any other for the same nominal fee.
          2. A commercial delivery service like any other.
          3. A hybrid: let it compete in the market, but step in to ensure that it (or somebody) will guarantee delivery everywhere for a nominal fee.

Your choice will pretty much decide what direction you advocate it taking. What you can't have is setup no. 2 with the results of no. 1.

BTW a not dissimilar analysis applies to the BBC too.
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

You'll miss it when it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Amazon are already looking a contingency plans and if they manage to still deliver without Royal Mail then quite possibly they (and others) will make a permanent shift to a more reliable service.
              That has certainly happened with previous strikes.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'd settle for 2 or 3 reliable deliveries a week.

Right now I get no mail. My redirections from the flat I just sold have mostly gone missing. Let them have a national strike I say: at least it will resolve the problem in SW London quicker.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Amazon are already looking a contingency plans and if they manage to still deliver without Royal Mail then quite possibly they (and others) will make a permanent shift to a more reliable service.
                  Wrong on one count:

Amazon.co.uk has cancelled its long-term contract to use the Royal Mail for parcels over 500 grams and will use a rival service, Home Delivery Network
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    If any of us kicked up a fuss when our employers/clients wanted to modernise and demanded that they take on some of our ideas we would be thrown out on the street within 30 seconds.

They are living in a fantasy world.
                    permies
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      You'll miss it when it's gone.
                      Ours only delivers junk mail addressed to The Occupier even though I filled in that 'no junk mail' request thingy over a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X