• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complete UK Postcode Database on Wikileaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
    Excellent - now if somebody here could just pop that into a MapInfo table for me it would be much appreciated...Ta!
    Nice helmet...Astro/J?????
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I've plotted all 1.8 million postcodes in that file on a map. Very pretty.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2605/postcodes.jpg
      Spot the national parks - cool...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Out of interest, what are the ones that are in the sea (1 off SW coast of Ireland, one SW of Scilly)?
        Bugs in the database by the looks of it. The one off Scilly corresponds to a dozen postcodes near BD985YA in the file with a latitude and longitude of 49.766731, -7.55729. I haven't checked the other one, as I haven't created a reverse search yet and I'm laboriously binary chopping the data manually to find them. There also appear to be something like 200,000 postcodes on the file with no (i.e. 0,0) latitude and longitude at all. Still, it is free

Comment

There also appear to be something like 200,000 postcodes on the file with no (i.e. 0,0) latitude and longitude at all. Still, it is free
          Those will be the non-geographically tied postcodes
          Try reading the thread
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Those will be the non-geographically tied postcodes
            Try reading the thread
            Based on small a random sample, the postcodes appear to be 'geographically tied' in Google maps no problem.

Comment

Based on small a random sample, the postcodes appear to be 'geographically tied' in Google maps no problem.
              Look closely, you'll see why assigning them geographical values in the PZONE file is nonsense
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Look closely, you'll see why assigning them geographical values in the PZONE file is nonsense
                Do you recall how many were geographically untied in your paid for version?

Comment

Do you recall how many were geographically untied in your paid for version?
                  about the same as in the version you have

The PZONE file is used for mapping postcodes to statistical regions. It is NOT an address file.
                  There are plenty of postcodes which one one reason or another need to be excluded from these statistical regions. Most commonly it's because the postcode relates to a postbox.

Like I said, look closely. Take one of your postcodes which google maps finds but is listed without a lat/long. Stick it in google maps, switch on the satelite view and zoom in.
                  Then tell me what is common amongst the vast majority of those postcodes
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I work in this area - and guessing if there are statistical boundaries on there, I know where this has come from...if I'm right they re-sell this data for quite a lot of money..

Update - Just opened it...looks like too many NHS identifiers to be who I thought it was - and most UK mainland orgs don't use Lat / Long
                    Last edited by Muttley08; 6 October 2009, 16:26.

Comment

about the same as in the version you have

The PZONE file is used for mapping postcodes to statistical regions. It is NOT an address file.
                      There are plenty of postcodes which one one reason or another need to be excluded from these statistical regions. Most commonly it's because the postcode relates to a postbox.

Like I said, look closely. Take one of your postcodes which google maps finds but is listed without a lat/long. Stick it in google maps, switch on the satelite view and zoom in.
                      Then tell me what is common amongst the vast majority of those postcodes
                      Based on a small sample size, big buildings by the looks of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X