• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Britain's house price crash is far from finished

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices are being propped up by money that will be paid for by the next generation. And it's bought us maybe a year.

Comment

My sister and brother-in-law have just sold their starter-home to move into a bigger place.

The buyers of their old place were investors living in Dubai. Does this tell us anything about the foundations of this new spurt in house-price growth?

Comment

I'm selling up my final property now, hopefully catch the last of the greater fools and part them with their money.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I'm selling up my final property now, hopefully catch the last of the greater fools and part them with their money.

I hope you've got somewhere to put the proceeds, because it looks as if cash is going to be trash. Now if only I knew somewhere safe I could put mine...

Comment

I'm going to panic soon

Okay, I'm getting concerned about my cash savings now and the time to panic may not be far off. Clearly savers are the sacrificial goats in the current crisis (with regard to low interest rates and currency devaluations so far, and huge inflation and possible collapse later) and my doubts that things will get much, much worse in due course are increasing rapidly.

Where can you get decent advice on how and where to flee from cash, specifically Sterling. I do not want any index linked product as these are and will be easily manipulated (e.g. "made-up" inflation rates). Gold is a bit too much of a punt for my liking, I'd prefer something that's safe and offers little return, except the original investment back. Any ideas?
            Last edited by TimberWolf; 22 September 2009, 22:16. Reason: Edit: Not property either

Comment

I'd stay in property in the UK at the moment if your planing on staying long term, the currency is toast from a global perspective but house prices (internally) seem to be remaining high (same, same but different - difference being your equity is worth a lot less OS).

Aussie dollar is doing pretty well.. although you probably should have gotten out last October (2.7).. not going to work for you at the moment (1.8) - sorry. You can also get 5% on at call cash deposits here easily

hmm.. i've not been anyhelp.. sorry

On another note, I have a wedge of cash i'm tempted to punt back and make good of the situation.. Anybody know a decent website that list the best deposit rates in the UK/EU??
              Last edited by craig_m67; 22 September 2009, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                From an estate agent
                Over the summer holiday period the UK housing market was the source of surprisingly positive news on the economic front. The improvement in market activity has continued, and been far quicker than in previous recessions.........

Boomed!
                The key words in this post are the title:

"From an estate agent"
                Last edited by SantaClaus; 22 September 2009, 23:31.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I keep telling the folks on HPC that the crash has ended and the good times are going ahead full steam. They ban me everytime, I wonder why.

House prices only ever go up apart from a blip or two.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I hope you've got somewhere to put the proceeds, because it looks as if cash is going to be trash. Now if only I knew somewhere safe I could put mine...
                    Let me give you my bank account details...

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
                      I keep telling the folks on HPC that the crash has ended and the good times are going ahead full steam. They ban me everytime, I wonder why.

House prices only ever go up apart from a blip or two.

House prices only ever go up apart from a major drop of about 20% or two

Comment

Working...
                      X