• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

spend all your savings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I spent all mine on the divorce.
    hers.

I've been spending all mine on luxuries like food and rent, and I still have more saved than owed.

I can't wait to get back into overall debt and start gaining from the low interest rates and worthless currency.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
      Why not? If your savings will never be able to fund an early retirement then what are you saving for exactly?

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to work in some form until I die - and I don't have any debts!

Carry a meagre year's warchest fund and blow the rest I think. The only rule is to not take on debt, as no savings and a load of debt (i.e. normal UK mindset which is a recipe for...what we have now).

No one ever wished that they had saved more.
      learn to use credit cards, as I am currently doing
      buy stuff on 0% then transfer balance to other cards which have 0%
      just keep moving the debt balance around

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
        Why not? If your savings will never be able to fund an early retirement then what are you saving for exactly?

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to work in some form until I die - and I don't have any debts!

Carry a meagre year's warchest fund and blow the rest I think. The only rule is to not take on debt, as no savings and a load of debt (i.e. normal UK mindset which is a recipe for...what we have now).

No one ever wished that they had saved more.
        I would say also put all your cash into your home. When you lose your job you can claim benefits if you have less than £16k savings. It doesn't matter if you own your home outright with no mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
          Using the pension credit calculator on here and Even without the outstanding £100k mortgage, the government would give you £198.45 pw (needs a £205k pot)
          But much/most of that £198.45 amount for most people would be covered by state pension, which isn't means tested.
          The pension credit "top up" part of that amount would be much less, and would need a much smaller personal pension pot to beat. Not sure whether it would be £50k or more like 75k, depending on personal circumstances.
          Plus you wouldn't get the state benefits until age 65/67/68 compared to 55 for a personal pension (bit optimistic there ).
          But I agree with the general sentiment, a lot of people with 5 figure pension pots will be worse off than if they hadn't bothered at all. Not really "fair" is it.
          Last edited by GreenerGrass; 21 September 2009, 19:43.

Comment

Working...
          X