• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and age what age is too old?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mace View Post
    Developers tend to peak at around the age of 24. If I was running a company, I'd get some fresh meat in after that.
    Ever wondered why you are not running a company?

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
      Developers tend to peak at around the age of 24. If I was running a company, I'd get some fresh meat in after that.
      You've reminded me of someone I used to know who said that he likes young staff. "After they get to about 25 they wise up and start asking for proper money. Younger than that and they are stupid and are just thankful they have a job"
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        You've reminded me of someone I used to know who said that he likes young staff. "After they get to about 25 they wise up and start asking for proper money. Younger than that and they are stupid and are just thankful they have a job"
        So which consultancy was that? KPMG, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, EDS, CSC, Deloitte, etc... All full of graduates gaining work experience, with the taxpayer paying £1,500 a day for the privilege.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Most guys at one of my clients are over 40. They're proper engineers* like, and there don't seem to be that many young'uns coming through the edukashun system, i.e. they just can't get the staff.

proper engineers = several hp calculators to be seen on peeps desks.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Most guys at one of my clients are over 40.
            If I was an HM I don't think I would hire a contractor under 35. Any younger than that they just don't have the experience for the most part in terms of contracting, maturity and life in general. Suppose it depends on the culture of the company also.

I don't see being over 40 being an issue either, not every one wants to be a PM or TA etc. If someone is interested in their chosen technology and enjoys what they are doing I would tend to think that they are going to be good at their job regardless of being 30, 40 or 50.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

I asked why this was - a manager said that everyone they've ever taken on over 40 has been crap, so now they don't bother, although they would never admit this openly.
              Ironic considering the vast majority of my time is taken up by fixing foul-ups made by young inexperienced people who will do a job in a couple of hours and then it takes weeks or months to undo the damage.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

WIth the risk of sounding Pc, age shouldn't matter, its the individual that matters. I worked for a financial consultancy in the city where the average age was 26, but 90% of the people there would sh!t all over the majority of anyoen else I have met in my career. Yes they needed some guidance on engineering techniques, but picked wverything up quickly and really were superb. Most of them now are high up in Tier1 banks.

I have met 40 year old contractors who are brilliant, some who are utter sh!te. Likewise I have met some sh!te 24 year olds and some utterly brilliant ones.

Unfortunately hiring managers and agents refuse to accept CVs for roles which show less than 5 years experience even if that candidate is the best person, its jsut the nature of the game. I had it in my younger years - "You're very young" then nailed the job if I could actually get in the door

Comment

It depends on your skill set and the job role

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
                  Talked to a couple of Agents about this. They said they believed if you
                  could do the job it didn't matter.
                  There are roles which are more suitable for older guys than younger guys.
                  Its a question of how to use YOUR age to your advantage
                  Old equals experience,leadership, communication and knowhow.
                  Young equals new latest technology,energy drive.

I don't currently have a problem in the SAP world as my area is accounting related. I even have a Perm interview this week. I admit Its always nice to see another contractor/perm older than you.
                  Most clients see age as experience so your age must reflect your experience.
                  After spending most of this year on the bench,retirement scares me.
                  My dream is to have a small pension at about 70 and then carry on doing
                  a part time role until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                    My dream is to have a small pension at about 70 and then carry on doing
                    a part time role until the end.
                    That`s a shi* dream, more like a nightmare. I think I`d be embarrassed and ashamed to be contracting even at 65 and definatley want to enjoy some of MY OWN time before I die. Then again, as I get older (and still skint) my view might change. I`m not even close to 40 yet but had an interesting experience recentlly when I met other candidates and they were all < 30. I`m not sure IT is a career for old age.

I`ve worked with a few older contractors (55-57) and they were all a little strange in one way or another.One thinking he was god because of his age etc, had a lot of false confidence but lied to enforce it. Another was just bonkers. And another constantly fell asleep while us young folks laughed and threw things at him to get the git awake.
                    Last edited by SuperZ; 21 September 2009, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                      I`ve worked with a few older contractors (55-57) and they were all a little strange in one way or another.One thinking he was god because of his age etc, had a lot of false confidence but lied to enforce it. Another was just bonkers. And another constantly fell asleep while us young folks laughed and threw things at him to get the git awake.
                      Sorry.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X