• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Londinium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Are you talking YHA Youth Hostels or YMCA ?

From my experience of YHA you had to sleep in bunk beds in a dorm, maybe it's all changed now.
    YHA. You do have to share a bedroom, yeah, but I found it was usually with no more than a couple of other people, and you only sleep in there. I've had a room to myself quite a few times as well. As I say, I find them generally to be far more comfortable than Travelodge type places, and in way more convenient locations, and a lot cheaper.

And you get a spacious locker (bring your own padlock) so, no, you don't really need to sleep with your laptop under your pillow.

As I said, it's obvious that they are not everyone's cup of tea, but they have plenty of advantages over most of the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      YHA. You do have to share a bedroom, yeah, but I found it was usually with no more than a couple of other people, and you only sleep in there. I've had a room to myself quite a few times as well. As I say, I find them generally to be far more comfortable than Travelodge type places, and in way more convenient locations, and a lot cheaper.

And you get a spacious locker (bring your own padlock) so, no, you don't really need to sleep with your laptop under your pillow.

As I said, it's obvious that they are not everyone's cup of tea, but they have plenty of advantages over most of the alternatives.
      Are there age or other restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        You could get a nice flat share or bedsit for a fraction of that price.
        Because these are different things, you pay for the freedom of booking when you like and for how long you like, and you do not have to be a nice looking professional female with 5 recent references to get a room ..

I though we were discussing "market for people to crash down for the night ", can you do that with a flat share or bedsit ?

Comment

Are there age or other restrictions?
          No age restrictions, no. In fact, the central London ones I've stayed at tend to have a mainly 30s-50s age range of people staying there, certainly at this time of year and over the Autumn/Winter period.

Only other minor restriction is that you have to pay a bit more if you are not a YHA member, but you can still stay there if you're not. But membership is very cheap.

You can also book a room to yourself at most of the hostels, if they've got a spare one. About 48 quid a night for one of those. Shared room is 24.50 a night (approx).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            FFS. Would you a like butler too?
            No. I am simply describing some fairly basic things which would make me pick one place over another.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              No age restrictions, no. In fact, the central London ones I've stayed at tend to have a mainly 30s-50s age range of people staying there, certainly at this time of year and over the Autumn/Winter period.

Only other minor restriction is that you have to pay a bit more if you are not a YHA member, but you can still stay there if you're not. But membership is very cheap.

You can also book a room to yourself at most of the hostels, if they've got a spare one. About 48 quid a night for one of those. Shared room is 24.50 a night (approx).
              That sounds okay for a few nights, but I wouldn't fancy it for a whole contract.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                So I reckon there would be demand for medium-to-long term accomodation (without the 6-month SAT) in centralish London (say zones 2/3) in say, a large bedsit with ensuite bathroom, maybe with a microwave, at around the £400-450 pcm mark?

Hmmm, is this a good plan B if the sums work out. Will look into it.
                Is there only me thinking

CUK Towers, starring Sas Fawlty
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                  Is there only me thinking

CUK Towers, starring Sas Fawlty

No I was thinking the same ...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

That sounds okay for a few nights, but I wouldn't fancy it for a whole contract.
                    Sure, yeah. You save plenty of money anyway, so you can have a treat somewhere more expensive from time to time. I used to rotate around a few different places when I was contracting in London.

Comment

Working...
                    X