• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Statistician
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so be nice. I have come here for advice.

I have a few years experience as sys admin in addition to a little experience in C++. I am looking for a change. My interest is in statistical computing.

Is it easy to get into statistical computing for someone with a graduate degree in mathematics (permie or contracting)?

I am good at Matlab. What else should I learn? Are employers willing to train someone in SAS or SPSS?

Best regards
    Sta
    I do stats computing or stats contracts.I know of at least one company in pharms that will train you in SAS from a maths degree for a permie role, after about 2 years of which you can get into contracting. It really depends what industry you want to get into, SAS is the standard in pharms and in finance. Matlab is only really used in academia as far as I know. The Sheffield Hallam course is excellent (and very well though of in industry) if you fancy doing a course first.
    Post me if you want more details.
    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Thanks everyone.
      Numptycorner, I have sent a PM.

regards
      Stat.

Comment

Working...
      X