• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your British Gas Gas/Electricity bill how much is it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliquant, switch off your 63 inch plasma, that'll save a bit. Plasma uses more power than LCD or the newer LEDs.

Also, check that your first bill has the meter reading you would have given when when you moved in, otherwise you could be paying the previous occupant's bills.

My gas and electric is in excess of £1000 a year. Got a direct debit, dual-fuel arrangement with npower.

You need to look at the cost of additional units when switching providers and not the first 800 units or so. Its the additional units you want to get cheapest.

I'm thinking of changing all the 50 watt halogen bulbs in my kitchen and bathroom (19 in total) to MR16 LED equivalents. They only use 4 watts each, but cost around £15 - £25 for each bulb. Will be a huge saving for me if I can find LED bulbs bright enough, as during winter my kitchen lights are on for 8 hours a day.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Sounds like your paying alot. I thought I was paying a lot a few months ago so started looking into it found I was on the worst tariff possible and I couldnt of been paying more for my gas and elec if I had tried. Unfortantly there is so many different tariffs its hard to work out the best deal but its worth spending the time as different tariffs suits different levels of usage, most have a different split between the number of units that need to be used before you go into the cheaper secondary units. In the end I also got an online account with my gas / elec provider I can switch tariffs online when I want etc
      Last edited by Bumfluff; 6 September 2009, 18:17.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        British Gas increased my DD from £12/month to £28/month then £32/month.

They now owe me rather a lot of money...
        They did similar with my brother and when he made enquiries they promised a cheque "next year". He demanded (and got) a cheque pronto.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A strange thing was that going online and viewing my Electricity bill history (with British Gas of course), I submitted a previous meter reading and they TOTALLY ignored it and replaced it with their own estimate, the ignored reading is logged on the online history though.

strange.

Comment

5-bed detatched Georgian farmhouse (so solid walls and draughty sash windows)

Two offswitch challenged teenagers

Winter quarter Oil heating £600 - £900 (currently fitting a logburner)
            electricity £400
            Summer quarter Oil heating £0
            electricity £300

cue another Yorkshiremen sketch......

Comment

Why not wear a jumper instead?

Comment

Rougly round £600 sometimes less per year. We only have electricity as it is a flat. It is slightly higher as we are on a green option which is described as being generated by hydropower and is not a donation to green research. We feel it is better paying a little extra (calculated at £50 saving) each year as it is environmentally friendly.

Comment

approx £10 p/month gas, £15 for electric

that's mainly due to the thermostat is set to 20C for gas central heating and I have a server running 24/7.. oh and that Im only home 2 days a month.

Gas/Electric/Water is included in monthly rent in Germany.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Just had my gas bill, for 5 months (oddly) £350
                    Electricity 3 months £150

So about £120 a month in summer, doubles in winter (victorian detached sieve with no insulation, wife works from home and thinks the 'stat is an accelerator pedal)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      Why not wear a jumper instead?
                      Worst thing is I do.
                      18" of insulation in the loft.
                      Window glass is only 2mm thick though.

It's '(Southern) wife at home all day when I'm out' syndrome.

I obviously don't beat her enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X