• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ahem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If the claim that contractors are generally more capable than their permie counterparts is true, shouldn't we expect contractors to be dumped into horrible messes as the "hired gun"?

Provided they are paid accordingly of course... sorting out the whole system doesn't sound like £200/day work for instance. Is the rate worth it SY01?

BTW, why do you want an in to insurance? Simply the money, or is there something about that sector that makes it intrinsically interesting to you?
    Being the hired gun supposes you are given some clout.

Take this conversation with the PM for example

PM : "What do you mean there's more problems, why are we hitting problems, we're going live in an hour"

ME: "Sure, but you told me this was passed UAT, and all I had to do was deploy it"

PM: "Yeah but you should look inside what you are deploying, you can't make assumptions it makes us look bad"

ME: "Either is has passed UAT or not, if we have no confidence in the UAT then lets run it again"

PM: "There's no time for that"

ME: "So we have to make some assumptions then"
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Being the hired gun supposes you are given some clout.

Take this conversation with the PM for example

PM : "What do you mean there's more problems, why are we hitting problems, we're going live in an hour"

ME: "Sure, but you told me this was passed UAT, and all I had to do was deploy it"

PM: "Yeah but you should look inside what you are deploying, you can't make assumptions it makes us look bad"

ME: "Either is has passed UAT or not, if we have no confidence in the UAT then lets run it again"

PM: "There's no time for that"

ME: "So we have to make some assumptions then"
      Holy crap, am sure I worked with that guy. It didn't end well (for him)
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Was going to post something...

Can't be arsed now.
        If you remember what it was please don't hesitate to post. I'm sure it must have been important.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X