• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I get Paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATW was thinking the same thing. What is happening is, when this consultancy doesnt have time to send in a consultant who can turn it round quickly they seem to be giving it to me knowing I will go out of my way to work it out before going in. Hence I am getting bitty work.

Probably best to knock it on the head IMO.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      Hence I am getting bitty work.
      If you allow yourself to be treated like a b1tch, then you will be treated as such

ATWat

Comment

As you have worked for the consultancy before i presume they know your rate from previous experience.

You spent a day "at work" consulting and adviseing the client, the end client not being ready and not having things set up is nothing to do with you.

So draw up a "report" on the day explaining what you laid out here (with more detail) so you have a paper trail and invoice the consultancy at your standard rate with 30 days to pay.

If it ever went to small claims court i highly doubt any judge would not find them liable.

Edit: This senario is no different to one many of us have probably encountered where we start a contract and spend the first few days doing nothing while the client sets us up network ID's/gets the softwear so forth, just in your case is they wasted the entire "contract" duration.
        Last edited by Not So Wise; 10 November 2005, 22:34.

Comment

Imagine you are a plumber.

If you called out a plumber and he could do nothing because the electricity supply to the boiler was on the fritz. Would he charge you?
          My wife had been messing with the timer buttons on the oven (unknown to me), then the oven wont work, so we call the gas bloke. He comes sees the problem and resets the timer. He said he would try and hide it and not charge us, but it could have been 70 quid.

Send a bill for a call out fee, mileage and the hours to discover the problem.
          Unless you want to do a good will thing and so stand a better chance of future work. HTH

Stop posting serious stuff in general. I want trivia and sex here. Oh and the girls to get their tits out!
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            If you allow yourself to be treated like a b1tch, then you will be treated as such

ATWat

or to quote....

My karma tells me
            You've been screwed again.
            If you let them do it to you
            You've got yourself to blame.
            It's you who feels the pain
            It's you that feels ashamed.
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

I think you should charge for a day. It makes no difference if nothing works at the end of it, they're paying for your advice and expertise; after all you did identify where the problem lies.

Comment

What was the question again ?
                I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                  What was the question again ?

Not sure! but the answer is 7

Comment

Thanks
                    I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

**** me - that was my 100th post !