• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

why the zig zag approach over tower bridge then waterloo bridge into heathrow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the approach pattern is different on the weekends ... perhaps it's connected with HM and Windsor?
    The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      No it always happens there - I've often wondered about it...
      There's a slightly sinister way of looking at the zigzag - an aircraft in level flight on a straight heading that close to the ground could easily be heading for a building.

Turning on to the approach to pick up the glide path onto whichever runway's being used for landing at LHR would account for one turning.

There's also the issue that there will almost certainly be some buildings in central London (Parliament, MI6, Buckingham Palace) that will constitiute purple airspace - e.g., you're not allowed to fly over or immediately near them.

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
        I think the approach pattern is different on the weekends ... perhaps it's connected with HM and Windsor?
        wrong side of london mate - and the approach from the west is pretty much a straight line right over windsor.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
          It's certainly nothing to do with keeping the buggers from flying over my house.

You might be right actually...
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public...Itemid=10.html

Controlled airspace now, not purple airspace.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post

Controlled airspace now, not purple airspace.
              Will read tomorrow if you don't mind. Bed time.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I often wonder when flying into Heathrow, what is this zig zag left hard turn between canary wharf and tower bridge then another sharp right near waterloo bridge/millenium wheel before eventually straightening up for the landing approach?

question must be fresh in my mind - flight landed 30 mins early on a 1.5 hr flight!
                May be to avoid the BBC transmitter at Crystal Palace (?)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

shame Cybergit's gone he knew loads about aviation.

AFAIK it's a kind of mini stack whilst you lose height and speed ready for final approach and they get all the planes lined up at optimum speeds and distances - I don't think you can do that in the "big" stack as because it starts off quite high you still have to be going relatively fast and far apart

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    shame Cybergit's gone he knew loads about aviation.

AFAIK it's a kind of mini stack whilst you lose height and speed ready for final approach and they get all the planes lined up at optimum speeds and distances - I don't think you can do that in the "big" stack as because it starts off quite high you still have to be going relatively fast and far apart
                    Good answer. Logical and a lot better than the answer I'd given above.

Comment

I often wonder when flying into Heathrow, what is this zig zag left hard turn between canary wharf and tower bridge then another sharp right near waterloo bridge/millenium wheel before eventually straightening up for the landing approach?

question must be fresh in my mind - flight landed 30 mins early on a 1.5 hr flight!
                      From my office I've watched helicopters do the same thing but in reverse, i.e. flying east.

They don't tend to need stacks, so we assumed it was rules to avoid flying over Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament.

Comment

Working...
                      X