• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Boats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Thanks Sysman. Good info for me to ponder. The boat is owned by a friend so I don't think I'm getting ripped off. He used to travel the canals in it but the maintenance got too much so it is now effectively 'static'.
    The only caveat there is that your friend may have paid "too much"* or doesn't realise how much the recession has hit prices. Having said that, a distinct advantage of buying second hand is that it should be fully kitted out (the hidden cost of buying new) and teething problems should have been sorted out (one friend had the ballast underfloor section of his shiny new narrow boat full of bog and shower overflow on his first big trip).

* such things are subjective and dependant on how much you value them
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
      Going to be a lot of student parties on that boat methinks!!!
      Yes but they'll be Oxford ones. Someone might drop some toast crumbs on the carpet: otherwise you'll be fine. That's unless the Bullingdon come round, in which case they'll sink the boat but won't touch your daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Yes but they'll be Oxford ones. Someone might drop some toast crumbs on the carpet: otherwise you'll be fine. That's unless the Bullingdon come round, in which case they'll sink the boat but won't touch your daughter.
        I think you don't know much about Oxford undergraduates.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I was at the other place but went to a few of their parties. If we were lucky they just got drunk on 4 cans and fell asleep. On the worst occasion they actually formed into bridge 4's.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I was at the other place but went to a few of their parties. If we were lucky they just got drunk on 4 cans and fell asleep. On the worst occasion they actually formed into bridge 4's.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I lived on a boat on the Thames nr. Oxford for a few months while I was working down there. It wasn't an official residential mooring as they are extremely thin on the ground. 120k sounds ok if the mooring is included. It gets bloody cold in the winter when the water freezes.
              A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

The two happiest days in boat ownership are...

The day you buy it!

The day you sell it!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  The two happiest days in boat ownership are...

The day you buy it!

The day you sell it!
                  heh! I suspect you could apply that aphorism to many things in life. For example, the two happiest days on a contract are

The day you start it!

The day you finish it!

No, that's not right. First pay day is the best
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

£120K for a boat seems a bit steep. No idea how that compares, but it sounds like not much less than a cheap flat with a lot of disadvatages.

I'm not sure I'd want to be walking along a tow path at night, and I'm not an 18 year old girl. There was a murder on the Oxford canal in Banbury not so long ago.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have done a few narrowboat holidays, normally pay about £1200 for the week.
                      It strikes me as perfect while its a novelty, but could easily become a real bummer. e.g. if you are a big bloke, or the missus is a big bloke, those tiny showers can be a real problem. Plus the cooking facilities are ok for slumming around for a week, for for a permenant stay might be limiting.

Moving around I never paid any mooring, but static, I could not say.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X