• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nitrogen tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Why not make tyres out of steel? Or at the very least a steel rim around a wooden spoked wheel. And make the roads from steel too.
    you'd immediately hit a problem if the magnetic poles of the earth shifted, with a possible field induced current causing mahem

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Why not make tyres out of steel? Or at the very least a steel rim around a wooden spoked wheel. And make the roads from steel too.
      Donkey sanctuaries are having to put donkeys down because there are so many.

Perhaps they could be employed some way in this?

Burning their dried droppings in an external combustion engine to power the vehicles, perhaps? You could tie donkeys, and similar animals, to the vehicle and have them run alongside. The driver then just collects the occasional free fuel donation and pops it on the engine to dry until it is ready to add to the fire.

Waddya think?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Better still. We could utilise large wooden boxes that float on water. then the donkey could pull us in that???
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          Better still. We could utilise large wooden boxes that float on water.
          Why waste energy making wooden boxes when you could just hollow out a tree trunk?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Donkey sanctuaries are having to put donkeys down because there are so many.

Perhaps they could be employed some way in this?

Burning their dried droppings in an external combustion engine to power the vehicles, perhaps? You could tie donkeys, and similar animals, to the vehicle and have them run alongside. The driver then just collects the occasional free fuel donation and pops it on the engine to dry until it is ready to add to the fire.

Waddya think?
            Sounds very cruel. And what shape are the wheels?

Comment

Cannot comment on the nitrogen handling as yet - because the numpties did not balance my wheels. No weights on either wheel and the steering wheel wobbling about.

About to go back and give them the what for.......

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Though these ultra low profile tyres seem to be 90% rubber already...

You only find out that one is flat, er, not inflated, when you reach the next bend...
                Unless your car tells you - and because the Septics are such awful lazy and litigious drivers, tyre pressure monitoring systems are now mandatory there.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Why waste energy making wooden boxes when you could just hollow out a tree trunk?
                  Wouldn't that be like going backwards a little?
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                    Wouldn't that be like going backwards a little?
                    Not at all, it is moving forwards within the context space of the green agenda.

The carved out chips are used to make wood blocks for burning in your ecostove and the tree comes from local, sustainable Fuel Forests™.

It's the way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                      Is this worth it?

Only a quid a tyre at Kwik Fit.

Needing a new set of fronts (get through 3 sets a year due to the mileage), so will test out the claims of increasing tread wear by 25% and better handling.
                      E&D Motors behind Stratstones between Wilmslow and Handforth. Much cheaper than Kwik Fit and some interesting alternative makes. I had some very soft compound Italian tyres from there a few years ago. Car stuck to the road like sh1t to a blanket but drove the tread off them in about 7000 miles.

They'll probably need to order them in though as they don't usually stock anything narrower than a 225.
                      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                      X