• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FAO Mods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Indeed. Perhaps only trusted posters with a track record should be allowed to create sockies?
    That's probably not workable - as AP outlined in the other thread. Several here post from large organisations with multiple contractors/members and one IP or IP range.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Bournemouth

Swindon.

Comment

Can't the mods do a match on the sockpuppets IP and then post who's IP they match.

It won't be conclusive but if we say have sasguru appearing over and over again against the sockpuppets, at least we can be somewhat sure.

I've stopped posting here as it's all getting silly and unprofessional.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I'm off to Whitley Bay.
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            Can't the mods do a match on the sockpuppets IP and then post who's IP they match.

It won't be conclusive but if we say have sasguru appearing over and over again against the sockpuppets, at least we can be somewhat sure.

I would be loathe for the mods to publish the IPs as that would give away where we all work/live and in some cases our full identity. But as you suggest they could post related usernames (and I'd be happy for them to post the 3(?) I've lost the logins for). But that won't deter those who (are sad enough to) use proxies or spoof their IP.

Although it might well be a fair bit of faff for the mods to do this.

Comment

A sockpupet cull

You are all ovbiously very mean people and weren't held enough by your mothers.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                I would be loathe for the mods to publish the IPs as that would give away where we all work/live and in some cases our full identity. But as you suggest they could post related usernames (and I'd be happy for them to post the 3(?) I've lost the logins for). But that won't deter those who (are sad enough to) use proxies or spoof their IP.

Although it might well be a fair bit of faff for the mods to do this.

I have no wish for to pay me a visit (again).

Don't forget, the revenue bastards are on the hunt too. Plus the odd debt collector/divorce lawyer/cyberstalker/etc.

I know that they can get the addresses easily enough anyway, but lets not make it easy for them.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  A sockpupet cull

You are all ovbiously very mean people and weren't held enough by your mothers.
                  We don't mean you, obviously. You're ironically not a sockpuppet.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

2 points.

1. I have no sockies at all.
                    2. Was this forum ever NOT silly and unprofessional, at least in General? Isn't that its point?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

i'd love to help guys but since we moved to this new board (about 200 years ago!) mods have not been able to access the ip addresses of posters. it has felt as though i'm operating with one hand tied behind my back at times and can be quite frustrating.

i'm guessing that ferret is in the same position - unless he's discovered an 'ip address' button that i haven't...

Comment

Working...
                      X