• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best free email option

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by datestamp
    Yes. It is very complicated.

You have to be able to type a name into a box, eg "hkot" and then in the next box type the name of your ISP email box eg "[email protected]".

This has then diverted all mail for "[email protected]" to "[email protected]".

Give us a tenner and I'll send you a manual.
    I've been know to do it for £9.50
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Crikey,,, you IT guys are clever,,,,

Are all domain providers much of a muchness?

Comment

try www.easyspace.co.uk they are not so bad
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

I would suggest someone a bit more upmarket for fully blown commercial projects. But for some simple personal email, you should consider the cheap and chearful: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

This has then diverted all mail for "[email protected]" to "[email protected]".
          Sorry. The vital information that I missed out, for the interlectually challenged, was:

Tell everybody your email is "[email protected]"

Don't tell anybody you own "[email protected]"

If you get this wrong, things don't work properly !
          Last edited by datestamp; 9 November 2005, 12:36.

Comment

fwiw 'I did the following for my daughter.

Registered [email protected] with 123-reg. Cost about a fiver.

Created [email protected]

Forwarded [email protected] to [email protected]

Set her email client (outlook express - spit) with email adress of [email protected]

Set the server account names to pick up the mail from [email protected]

Ok, if anybody bothers to look at the mail headers they look a bit weired but the result is mail is sent to and appears as received from daughter.me.uk.

Some ISPS will bounce this though, they won't allow the @portion of the outgoing mail adress to differ from what they like. Should have few probs finding an SMTP which will allow it though.

One problem that I do have is my ISP's webmail exposes the underlying adress rather than what IO want the addy to be. So when traveeling is she can't get POP3 and uses webmail it appears from [email protected] rather than [email protected].

Can't be bothered at the moment to resolve that since it means finding a better webmaiul to use as the intermediary.

Comment

Working...
            X