• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Trip USA after being benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Do it!!! You can always add an extra 8 months onto your 8 years job you just finished, 8 or 8.5 years is really the same.

Look if your gf wants sprogs and you dont then it's never gonna work...! She will just get more cranky as she hits the mid 30's and older.

Having worked in the USA for a total of 4 years and having travelled a lot of it I wil say IMHO that it was ok but not great. On the other hand I have been to South and Central America and believe me that it is much more exciting and if I could get a gig there I would be over like a shot. The USA is bland with the same ole tulipe wherever you go -> this mart, that mart and another mart... yawn. The best places in the USA are Florida (cause of the climate and the ocean) with a lovely drive along the Keys to Key West. CA is also a great place. Oregon, Arizona and the East cost (NY, New England etc), the rest is tulipe.

I' gonna say it again, South America beats the USA hands down, yeah little bit more risky but with street smarts you are fine. Great scenery, great music, great food, great culture and HOT HOT HOT burds who are more than friendly

The USA just doesn't come close!
    Umm, ditto lived in the US 4 years and spent 9 months travelling Latin America ... and it's great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Not quite sure how you can claim the rest of it is tulip! The places yo mentioned already are a massive area to cover. And there's tonnes of other great places - the deep south for starters (Georgia, Sth/Nth Carolina etc), Texas is awesome and completely surprising ... Not spent as much time in the middle, but Wyoming is also incredible, and some of the cities in the middle are cool (Chicago for example).

That's like the size of western europe just there ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

It's hard to write off an entire continent, when occasionally I still come across a really nice place only a few miles away from where I live.

Comment

Dont do it. You will regret it.

I do a lot of road trips, one a year at about 6k miles a pop.
        I looked into your option very seriously and it came out bottom of the list of choices.

The way we do it is to hire a car and just head off into the sunset, after 500 miles or so, start looking for a motel/hotel. If you cant find one, sleep in the car.
        After a week you get tired, hire a s/c chalet for a few days, if its nice, extend for a week. When you get itchy hit the road again.

keep a diary.

In 2000 we did
        NYC
        Buffalo
        Chicago
        Indianapolis
        Denver
        Grand Canyon
        Deep South
        NYC

in 4 weeks, 7.5k miles.

the RV has one or two advantages, but on balance, no.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"Not quite sure how you can claim the rest of it is tulip!"

All the better places I mentioned are pretty much on the outside of the US, the bits in the middle should be avoided at all costs. I've been in the Mid West and unless you like miles and miles of flat nothing and locals driving around in their pickup trucks with old glory flying from either the roof or bonnet it's boring.

Never been to Texas the coastal cities appear to be a hive of activity.

Chicago is a nice city to visit, I visited it in January when it was pretty much frozen over and went to the Field Museum. Not as big a city as I thought it would be tho.
          Wyoming is nice also and Jackson Hole is worth a visit.

Horses for courses I guess...

Comment

I'd love to do that trip - travel round USA and see the small little towns - or the pacific highway, reckon it would be brilliant!

But I have so many places on my places to see list that I'm struggling to fit them all in!!

Plus I need to fit Plan B (B for Babies!! Sorry OP) in aswell!
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              I'd love to do that trip - travel round USA and see the small little towns - or the pacific highway, reckon it would be brilliant!

But I have so many places on my places to see list that I'm struggling to fit them all in!!

Plus I need to fit Plan B (B for Babies!! Sorry OP) in aswell!
              Ohhhhh, that plan "B"...

Comment

Did I just see Churchy leaving by the side door ?

Comment

It sounds like you're just having a bit of a breakdown to me.

Why do something so drastic? is this just a way of splitting up with your lass cause she's getting a bit too serious?

Why not just head away for a 3 week trip on your own first, straighten your head, then decide?
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

When women want kids all I have is the image of Rhona out of 2.4 children putting pins into condoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Did I just see Churchy leaving by the side door ?
                      Nope.... it's not just "my" Plan B
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X