• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murdoch to charge for the Sun online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
    In order to stop readers from moving to the huge number of free news websites, Mr Murdoch said News Corp would simply make its content "better and differentiate it from other people".

What, like “Fox News better”?
    Murdoch and Fox News

In 1995, Murdoch's Fox Network became the object of scrutiny from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), when it was alleged that News Ltd.'s Australian base made Murdoch's ownership of Fox illegal. However, the FCC ruled in Murdoch's favor, stating that his ownership of Fox was in the best interests of the public.
    Gag!
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Those that read the sun tend to do it for the sports. I wonder if they will be prepared to pay online?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Those that read the sun tend to do it for the sports. I wonder if they will be prepared to pay online?
        The Sun was for a long time (still?) acknowledged as the leader for its racing columns, and that drove a lot of its sales.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I would never pay for online news. I'd rather buy a newspaper. Murdoch doesn't have a clue, but then he has proven this over the years with his blind support of Labour.

Comment

Murdoch has form for getting away with what everyone says is impossible. Do you remember Wapping?

My core business is media and publishing and I visited fortress Wapping a couple of times in 1986-97 and it was amazing that he got away with it. I just caught the end of the old Fleet street days before he lead the way to the docklands. I have fond (blurred) memories of El Vinos.

It's his equivalent of Maggies miners strike and while I wouldn't ever write him off, I suspect that charging for online news may be his poll tax.

Comment

Working...
            X