• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just been in the pool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That's right, and the kettlebell is just brilliant for this kind of work; seeing as it's always out of balance you're forced to use the smaller muscles to stabilise it all the time. Also, your abdominal muscles work like hell. It's good for ballistic exercises and developing explosive strength, while a smaller kettlebell can be used for an aerobic workout.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. I am reminded of the problem with a rowing machine for someone who has done the real thing. It doesn't provide the abdominal muscle exercise you get from balancing/steering a real boat on water.

Since I bought mine I've given up the gym membership; if you learn lots of kettlebell exercises you don't need a gym.
    I'm also a lot more likely to use one I have at home than get my arse to the gym. As opposed to gym membership fees, I imagine there's a pretty quick return on the investment.
    Last edited by Sysman; 5 August 2009, 14:28.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Yep, that's what I was thinking.

I'm also a lot more likely to use one I have at home than get my arse to the gym. As opposed to gym membership fees, I imagine a pretty quick return on the investment.
      gym membership saves you money. If I didn't have gym membership @ £35pm I'd be eating out or spending money on rubbish during my lunch break.

Comment

That's right. I used a clean spoon, as always.
        Chutney
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Yep, that's what I was thinking. I am reminded of the problem with a rowing machine for someone who has done the real thing. It doesn't provide the abdominal muscle exercise you get from balancing/steering a real boat on water.
          That's right, but of all the machines in a gym I'd say the rowing machine is probably the best; it can give a good aerobic and anaerobic workout to anyone from grandma fatty to elite athletes. Rugby players
          benefit a lot from it, because they can do a long aerobic interval training without the impact of >15 stone crashing down on their knees which is the problem with distance running. However, rowers would probably miss out on the skill of balancing the boat; I guess if you combine a rowing machine workout with a kettlebell workout you'll get the benefits of both.

If you do want to buy a kettlebell I'd advise you to go for a 16kg model, unless you know that you're very strong (several years of strength training); 24kg is for men who've built up a very good basis of strength. it doesn't sound like much, but believe me, it feels nothing like a dumbbell or weights machine. Take a look on youtube for exercises, or just google kettlebells; there is loads of information on t'internet. This lot are pretty good and I use a lot of the workouts they show.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
          X