• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feeling a little chicken?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Cats will generally chase them around for a bit of fun, but will rarely, if ever kill them.
    We have been discussing getting chickens (battery rescue ones) but I am worried cat will kill chicken (and get hurt in the process).

Why don't the cats try to kill the chickens?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      We have been discussing getting chickens (battery rescue ones) but I am worried cat will kill chicken (and get hurt in the process).

Plan B!

Chickens, cat, webcam, pay-to-view.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Plan B!

Chickens, cat, webcam, pay-to-view.
        I think I prefer the idea of a webcam for the bankers being executed.

Comment

Go for it. Everybody who keeps hens thinks they are great. Lots of work though, but I suppose you can eat them if you can't be bothered any more.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
            [*]A four foot run is a smaller than I would be happy letting them run around in.
            I believe the run is just until they get used to their new home, then you can let them out into the garden after a week.
            Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Too much hard work.

Cats are lazy and unless very hungry would rather kill something smaller.

Some cats get on very well with chickens in fact. For some reason they don't seem to see them as prey animals.

Large, hungry, feral tom cats however, are a different proposition.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Chickens are great, if you have the space. They will mess up your lawn if that's where you intend to run them.
                Their poo stinks - possibly the worst thing that came out of our muck spreader back in the day. I fell Over in a huge sloppy load of this stuff and it bloody horrible. My dad literally turned the hose onto me to wash it off.

Cats will generally chase them around for a bit of fun, but will rarely, if ever kill them.
                Foxes on the otherhand generally do kill them

Don't get a cockerel, otherwise it will fight with the cat and piss off the neighbours.
                We had one on our farm in Aberdeen. It used to stand right outside my window trying to make the cock a doodle do noise it was supposed to but couldn't and made some whiny squalk instead. It did this when the sun came up i.e. about 4 am in summer and mid day in winter. I was quite happy on the day when we found that a fox or something had got it.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Go for it. Everybody who keeps hens thinks they are great. Lots of work though, but I suppose you can eat them if you can't be bothered any more.
                  I don't - we had some for a while but although the eggs were nice, it isn't worth the bother. They will wreck your garden. Unless you have the guts to keeping killing the ones who aren't productive you will wind up with expensive pets. Throwing corn about doesnt half attract rats. They fight amongst themselves for no apparent reason.

Comment

They have only slightly more brain power than cybertory which means they are very good at getting lost run over and generally killed - and you only ever lose the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                      We have one of these (very easy to keep clean) and three chickens, which we let wander around the back garden.
                      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                      X