• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for my cousin's son trying to start in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something like this:
    http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/12/04.html

Comment

I would tell him that he needs to be flexible and accept that everything he wants will not immediately fall into his lap. The real world is slightly different to anything he has yet experienced and getting any job at the moment should be his priority.

Comment

"This message is hidden because Cyberman is on your ignore list. "

Ahh bliss, I feel so much happier and less violent towards my fellow colleagues.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Just tell him here's the ladder, this is the first step - accept you'll be doing something other than what you dream of for the first few years and as time goes by the opportunity for better things will become more and more.

Not saying he is (as I don't know him) but a lot of Uni students I've met in my time come out of Uni thinking they are gods gift to the IT industry, and that everyone owes them something for getting a degree or automatically qualifies them for jobs placed well above their work/life experience.

On a side note, I always find people who put their degree letters after their name in email signatures to be quite insecure too..
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            "This message is hidden because Cyberman is on your ignore list. "

Ahh bliss, I feel so much happier and less violent towards my fellow colleagues.
            I can quote it if you like? It was vintage Cyberman
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I'm visiting my cousin in a couple of weeks, as another of his tribe is turning up from Lancashire or wherever he lives in the wilds of Northern England.

Anyway, I suspect the main reason he invited me is to advise his son, who graduated with an IT degree last year and, I believe, hasn't yet really found his feet in commercial IT.

I'm a bit vague about the details, i.e. where he was studying and his grade, or what he has done since graduating. However, I do know he has a regrettable tendency to look down on commercial IT, which as I tried to explain to him won't help his financial prospects.

So any advice would be welcome.
              Why not stay in academia? OK, so the pay's tulip until you get a PhD, but then it's OK and he'll have a nice cushy life with a secure job and an education pension.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Why not stay in academia? OK, so the pay's tulip until you get a PhD, but then it's OK and he'll have a nice cushy life with a secure job and an education pension.
                Don't forget the lifetime supply of eye candy, which he'll definitely be giving up if he enters into commercial IT ...
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Just tell him what i told someone the other day who is about to start a Uni course in IT.......Don't

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                    Just tell him what i told someone the other day who is about to start a Uni course in IT.......Don't
                    Trouble is, he's already graduated.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                      Don't forget the lifetime supply of eye candy, which he'll definitely be giving up if he enters into commercial IT ...
                      That's sarcasm isn't it?
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X